Specular map input in nodes?

Hi guys, complete noob here in cycles, been using it for maybe a week and I need to know, where is the input for the specular maps in the node editor? For that matter, is it possible to add specular to a material like in internal?

Wow, that’s a lot to follow. Guessing I connect a non-color data normal to a glossy shader or something?
happy cycles XD

You should connect specular texture to fac input (grey) in node which is mixing diffuse and glossy (with optional colorramp to reduce it strength). Normal texture as non-color data goes thru normal map node into normal inputs (blue) of glossy and diffuse shaders.

It appears I am lost. Help?

Try mixing two BSDF shaders (glossy and diffuse), not image texture with shader which are different types of nodes.

And your mix node is wrong, it’s mixrgb and should be mix(shader).

Just look at colors of input/output dots and try to connect them that way.

It works, but its substandard at best.

I need these sandbags to be as real as possible. Including but not limited to specular, what should I do with them? I’m about to unwrap and individually paint hundreds of these lol.

Here’s a quick example for the spec map placement:

Use the color ramp as a kind of “levels” adjustment to crush them down to bring certain areas very high or very low. Pretty much, the pure whites in your spec will be fully glossy, and full blacks will be fully diffuse. You can mess around with adding the diffuse map to the glossy node to lessen the brightness of the gloss, or leave it white. For the sand bags, I would suggest not using full white, but plug the diffuse map into the glossy as well. Also, play with the roughness setting. Make it just rough enough that is necessary since it takes cycles longer to render high glossy roughness as opposed to low. I have a burlap diffuse, spec, and bump around here somewhere. If you need it I can try to find it and post it.

Thanks for the effort! I found a small barbed wire segment on creative commons and I made a texture out of it, free if anyone wants:

there is also an OLS to make barbe wire

happy bl

Couple of things - if there is a sand (only) in the sack it is round; no sharp corners. If you look 7’ away to some worn jeans you can’t tell threads much apart; you can see that they are worn though. Cloth, especially sacks, if it’s ain’t thoroughly wet do not shine. As opposed to wood which, if just a little bit wet, might do.
And last, which is mentioned here around and has helped a lot here, is, never leave Diffuse/Glossy mix without adding Layer weight or Fresnel node to Mix Fac. Which means you need another mix color node to mix (add, multiply) Layer weight and some glossiness map.

Well the battlefield will be soaked during 2 scenes, and it might snow at one point, if I ever get around to making a movie out of it.

What Eppo is saying (I think) is that you don’t need a specular map on a sandbag. Remember that every shader you add is computationally expensive. Satin and silk need spec maps and a glossy shader. Burlap or jute? Not so much. But I admire your efforts at verisimilitude! Sandbags do develop a shiny spot if people have been sitting on them for years. Unlikely in this scenario but it might be one of those campaigns.

In that case, I’m aiming for better than realistic, as I liked the specular map I had going in BI. However, I can leave it out. What should I do to make the sandbags look realistic, or at least good? There will probably be thousands of sandbags in the movie (if I ever get there) and they must be excellent.

You might try some dirt with some vertex paint without needing to repaint a new texture for each - you can use an attribute node to call the vertex paint for each bag if they are unique objects.

Also, it looks like you have some stretching on the top bag there, the burlap should be pretty regular unless torn.

SERIOUSLY!!! The nodes are color coded!!! Thank you thank you thank you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You rock, patwork.

Well I can’t possibly let such unbridled joy go undampened it being the holiday season and all.
So here you go: ONLY the shader input and the BSDF output have to be paired. Everything else can be mixed and matched for predictable - or otherwise - results. Some outputs are 24bit, and some are 8bit, the same for the inputs. But Blender now extrapolates - or averages - the data to match input to output so anything goes.

as a side note to this can somebody give me hints on how to get a material setup for a good editable skin for BLENDER INTERNAL

one thing i will need is a way to stretch the contrast.

if i have to do this in cycles i will need help to debug Cycles on an atom netbook with intel graphics

oh and since i need somebody that can EXPLAIN the material Google is a no go.

If you need someone who can EXPLAIN, maybe you should EXPLAIN what you’re talking about. “Editable skin with a way to stretch the contrast” means about as much as “mambo dogface to the banana patch”…

okay some details i am looking to make a skin material that i can Bake to create a human Rainbow but i can’t seem to get the contrast to fall correctly (it is bunched up in like the center third of the full range).

what i would like to do is for a given Base color set things so that i can get the highlight/specular and shadow colors correct.

Why not just do some search on blendswap? There are plenty of material assets there for use, and you can learn some things by reverse engineering them as well.