Speed Modelling Contest Idea

Hi just a thought didn’t know where else to put this and wanted to see what people thought of this idea.

When we do SMC why not have a number of different categories in attempt to help people learn different aspects of Blender in different ways.

For instance you can still have the SMC but instead of looking at loverly renders time should be spent on purely improving modelling skills.

The best of this sessions SMC could then be taken into STC (speed texturing contest)

The best of the STC could be taken into the SRC (Speed Rendering Contest)

So you have people working on contests that take their fancy and improve the skills that they want to focus on …if ya see what i mean.

Like i said don’t know if i posted this in the right place if not soz :frowning: but could ya all let me know what ya think.

Speed rendering contest would be useless, and would have to do with the machine doing the rendering.

Hey,

I’m no expert, but I have been to #smc and done some **cs…

When we do SMC why not have a number of different categories in attempt to help people learn different aspects of Blender in different ways.
Well, I would say that while ( In my experiance ) I’ve learned some thing with almost every time, the goal of smc’s isn’t to teach people.

For instance you can still have the SMC but instead of looking at loverly renders time should be spent on purely improving modelling skills.

Well, I’m not sure if you know how the smcs usually work, but its a competition for X amount of time, and then 20mins for rendering,

With that info my opinion is that the “problem” is on the voters side,
Most of the time, renders are non-spec, just showing off the model, I feel that often the voters vote for the prettiest, but I wouldn’t say that contestants have that goal…

I agree that a speed rendering challenge would be really silly…

As for different kinds of smc’s from this thread on BA,

Other Unique Contests:

• SAC (Speed Animation Contest)
  • SSC (Speed Sculpty Contest)
  • S|/|C (Speed Materials Contest)
  • 3 Part SMCThere is also, “SDC - speed drawing contest”
    FAC - Flash Animation Conest ( Although I think this should be named SFAC :wink: )

And in the past there has been Speed Indigo Challenges, And Speed SDC/SMC Combos.

Cheers,
~Marslyr

Yeah, as Marslyr said. I’ve entered in quite a number of SMCs on the #smc room, but along with that I sometimes get an SAC going (animation), which just gets done exactly the same way, except everyone makes an animation (usually with a pre-built rig).

I find both great fun, but I have also seen Speed Texturing ones as well. There’s also quite a lot of SDCs (Drawing) but I’m no good at that so I tend not to enter those.

Cuby

this idea is stupid! i hate it!
well actually its not that bad
in fact there was many parts of it i liked
in fact it was rather good
no, it was really good
great idea! BRAVO! BRAVO!

now i hate it again…

ur right,but what about instead an SCC (Speed Compositing Contest)

Heh thanks for the reply guys

ur right,but what about instead an SCC (Speed Compositing Contest)

Sounds like a better idea, make more sense than the rendering idea.

I know the SMC have nice bling and stuff in them, but i was just thinking of how we can help people learn different skills that they were particullary interested in.

I think it would be a good idea to set up mini projects for people to work together on. Nothing intensive like a film or something and maybe not speed as in the SMC but how about a week long challenge, for pure modelling, then when thats finished pass it onto the texturing challenge, then compositing,

All these things can be a week long and roll on to one another so whilst the texturing project is going on for the previous weeks modelling theres another modelling challenge going on.

If that makes more sense.

I wasn’t having a dig at the SMC I think it’s great fun but i was just thinking of a way of applying a learning sort of framework and making it competitive and fun.(not that the SMC isn’t fun)

Again, there is a Help Thread in the Speed Modeling Contest to ask questions about the contest in general…here!

Im not just on about the SMC as the way that works is fine I was just thinking of an alernative to SMC where there is a collaborative learning tint to it.