Speed of linux through VMWare

Has anyone tried to run Blender in the free Ubuntu distro for VMware on Windows? I have a Pentium4 630 (3.0 GHz HT) with 2GB ram, Geforce 6200 TC 128 PCI-E. I set up VmWare in WinXP SP2 (Home), and tried it. I used the standard dynamic blender linux version.

My VMWare is using 192 mb RAM, and appears to only use one “thread” (one of the virtual CPUs). I have installed a whole bunch of other things into this virtual box, and don’t know what else to install 8) . Anyway, I tried the test.blend from eofw.org, and got a time of 3:19 with everything left as is. My windows machine (with lots of tabs in FF, Autocad running twice, plus the usual windows bloat) renders the same file, with threads enabled (nothing else is using the CPU) and it rendered in 5:48.

I thought, Is linux that much faster? Can’t be. So I used an external stop watch. Ubuntu’s Blender then displayed a render time of 4:00, but the stop watch said 5:58. Pretty good results if you ask me through a virtual machine. Interesting how the clock frequency is scaled by roughly 2/3.

no, windows just is really slow…

you might as well see if blender’s on the ubuntu livecd

I use Mandriva on my server at home…I know it’s faster. I didn’t think (and it’s not) that it was that much faster.
But I’m constrained to Autocad here at work…so windoze it is. Luckily I get paid to blender for half my time!

I think that there is a bug in Unbuntu with the clock… I remember reading it somewhere people having to reset there clocks. I agree that it is pretty good considering that it is in a VM.

If it’s what I think it is, then it’s not a Ubuntu bug - it’s just an incompatibility with Windows (linux likes to store the time as UTC, Windows doesn’t, sometimes the installer can get the conversion wrong). I’m not entirely certain what this has to do with the thread…

If it’s what I think it is, then it’s not a Ubuntu bug - it’s just an incompatibility with Windows (linux likes to store the time as UTC, Windows doesn’t, sometimes the installer can get the conversion wrong). I’m not entirely certain what this has to do with the thread…[/quote]
The Orange team had some problems with Ubuntu’s clock: http://orange.blender.org/blog/time-traveling
I don’t know if it’s related.

If it’s what I think it is, then it’s not a Ubuntu bug - it’s just an incompatibility with Windows (linux likes to store the time as UTC, Windows doesn’t, sometimes the installer can get the conversion wrong). I’m not entirely certain what this has to do with the thread…[/quote]
The Orange team had some problems with Ubuntu’s clock: http://orange.blender.org/blog/time-traveling
I don’t know if it’s related.[/quote]

no, that was a problem with x64, iirc.