Speeding an animation up in edit modes?

Does anybody of you know some tricks about that? The problem is not rendered final work, but running an animation in object, edit, etc. modes. I guess i messed up by applying subdivision surface modifier, but on the other hand i had to do that, because i couldn’t give up possibility to sculp my model with results be showed directly in edit and object modes (i’m a beginner and i hate retopology).

I want to speed my animation up simply to have better view on a situation: lipsync, how fast my character is moving, etc. Right now it’s around 6 FPS, while it should be 24. The problem surely is high resolution of the mesh, but decimate modifier doesn’t seem to work now (it’s even slower with it).

So… i wouldn’t like to destroy my HD character now, as i already rigged him and added shapekeys, yet i want 24 FPS. Is there some kind of preview, where i could quickly check my animation out from the camera view as some low res frames?

Have you tried rendering to Open GL frames? Very fast (compared to full rendering that is) and a quick & not so dirty method of previz. For scrubbing & playback in the UI, maybe a low-poly animation proxy figure? I make mine by duping my main “beauty” mesh first off, strip off any fps-munching modifiers, and usually remove at least 1/2 the edge loops, knock the hands, feet and facial detail down to a minimum, and can then pump put 30fps in most cases. Also, make sure you’re only viewing what you need to view. Hide or banish to another hidden layer anything not needed to help you scope out the animation, including working windows like the Action Editor, Graph Editor, NLA, etc. These need not be closed, just window-shaded so the data is not showing.

As i’m checking this out now, it gives me around 6 FPS too.

Mine hasn’t got any (unapplied) modifiers. But can you please translate the rest of your advices to me :o, and how to do those?
Like:

-duping mesh off
-remove at least 1/2 the edge loops
-knock the hands, feet and facial detail down to a minimum

I’m too noobie to understand. Thanks.

Duping = duplicating (Shift+D) – just make a copy of your primary mesh before applying stuff like subdivision. Do it after principal weight painting is done so it will animate just like your higher-rez mesh. It’s a proxy, a stand-in for the main mesh. Stash it in an empty layer when not using it.

Look up edge loops if not familiar with that term. Basically this does what Decimate does but it’s cleaner, if slower because you do it by hand. The idea is to reduce the number of vertices in the mesh so it will play back faster. Doing it by hand insures that only the loops not needed for animation success are removed. You want to keep most of those at knees, shoulders and elbows, for example, but can remove many in the arms and legs and trunk of the body.

Faces, hands and feet typically have more vertices because of fingers, toes, noses, eyes, etc. You don’t need all this detail to evaluate body animation, so remove as much as you can in your animation proxy.

OpenGL rendering: – This won’t play back faster in the UI, it will likely play back slower. But it WILL record each frame of your animation pretty much as it appears in the UI, so you play back an untextured, unlit version for animation evaluation. This is called a previz, or pre-visualization. Sometimes called a playblast also. Once your frames are recorded you can load them into the Video Sequence Editor for review at full speed. Bes sure to render only what you need to analyze – even in OpenGL rendering complex frames will slow things down.

It seems to be the optimal solution to me. Thanks.

I guess i messed up by applying subdivision surface modifier, but on the other hand i had to do that, because i couldn’t give up possibility to sculp my model with results be showed directly in edit and object modes (i’m a beginner and i hate retopology).
If you used the Multi resolution modifier instead of the subdivision surface modifier you can sculpt your model but maintain your original topology and change the resolution to allow speedier playback in the viewport

After you’ve done an Open GL render, you can play it back straight away using the Render/Play Rendered Animation menu option - no need to use the Video Sequence Editor.

Good call – does that allow for scrubbing and frame-by-frame stepping or is it just straight playback at speed?

EDIT: Just straight playback, it seems. OK for a quick review but for full analysis you need scrubbing & frame-by-frame, so use the VSE to view the pre-viz frames.