Spelunky! - now with Tutorial and Timelapse!

Hey everyone! I spent the last few evenings working on this fan art for my favorite game Spelunky. My favorite character is raiding the City of Gold with a Jetpack and Shotgun :). I’m using it as my title image in my “Let’s Play Spelunky” videos.

I’m going to post a few tutorials/breakdowns on creating it in the coming weeks (part one coming out on Tuesday - I’m starting “Tutorial Tuesdays” on YouTube)

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

:smiley:

—EDIT—

Just posted the tutorial and timelapse for modeling the robot!
The city of gold background tutorial is coming next week!

Tutorial:

Timelapse:

Dang, 3D procedural levels like that in Spelunky would make it a much more astonishing game than it is now (providing the main mode became a bit longer of course).

Is the robot head a real item in the game, because I haven’t really gotten into purchasing downloadable titles.

Hey!

The robot is an unlockable (and my favorite) character in Spelunky :slight_smile:
You can unlock him in the alien mothership - I play this game way too much :stuck_out_tongue:

His nose in the sprites can blink red - I made it red in my image to make it more interesting :slight_smile:

COl little peice, I have never played the game but I am a massive gammer so i will check it out. Questions I would like to know how you did is the swirls in the lava, and the wings on the bat. Thanks for sharing!

That will all hopefully be covered in the tutorials I’m making :slight_smile:
The swirling was accomplished with the “magic” texture in cycles, though. Then, I mixed that with some noise for the darker and lighter spots to break it up some.

The wings on the bat were just extruded out…then I inset certain areas to get the wing “ridges” in place.

Great work. I love spelunky. This is a worthy fanart for sure :slight_smile:

Just posted the tutorial and timelapse for modeling the robot!
The city of gold background tutorial is coming next week!

Tutorial:

Timelapse: