Sphere Of Spots

Someone mention using 6 spots set at 90 degree angles to create a 360 degree spot. However, it seems to me that would only be 360 x 90 degrees, correct? Or can the spots have nonlinear coverage (oval, rectangular, triangular?

Is it possible to create a “sphere” of spots where they each cover a respective quadrant? If so, wouldn’t this act like a lamp that could cast shadows (in scanline rendering)? I know you can set the spot to light a square area rather than a round one., so covering shere quadrant sseems possible.

If this is possible, the only other thoughts that come to my mind are:

A) Do you overlap edges with a soft edge where the combined energy would be a continuous light output, or do you butt the quadrants up hard?

B) I can’t think of what the proper vertical and horizontal angles would be to create the light sphere, although I suppose that could be pretty straightforward to figure out.

C) Can you parent or link the lights somehow so changing one light’s parameters changes them all identically (e.g. color, brightness)?

Just curious.

For c, you could try Alt+D, then all those duplicates are linked. Changing one would change all.
For b, you could track the lights to an empty, then moving the empty could control the direction of the lights. You’d have to do it individually for each light, though. But if you set the track constraint before doing the Alt D, then all duplicates would also have the constraint.
For a, I don’t know, maybe set up a set of empties for each light to track so that the overall area is spread out, then a master empty to move the bunch of empties at once?

You can parent a lamp to half a sphere and duplivert it in F7. Then each vert on the sphere would have a virtual lamp all controlled by the settings of the original.

%<

>>You can parent a lamp to half a sphere and duplivert it in F7. Then each vert on the sphere would have a virtual lamp all controlled by the settings of the original. <<

Do you mean to shine the light THROUGH the hemisphere, like a diffusion screen? Could this in effect work like a lamp, yet cast shadows in a scanline render?

When you duplivert it, the sphere will not be rendered. What you’ll have is a lot of lights in the vertices of the sphere.

I’d say it’s a bit overkill to use dupliverts for 6 spots. And yes, you can create an almost perfect shadow-buffer omni-lamp with this method, I even have one in my primitives library. (I hate raytracing)

OK, sounds great. Now, do I leave to spot settings to default when using the duplivert method?