Spin and SpinDup Tuts

I’m trying to follow along with the Blender book on this particular chapter, but I’m not clued in on how I “create a mesh representing the profile of your object.” I don’t have a clue as to how to do this in Blender. I’ve tried Bezier Curve, Nurbs Curve and Path, but I can’t find a tool that will allow me to create the glass profile. Did I miss something somewhere?

I managed to greek a clock together for the SpinDup tutorial, although I wasn’t sure how to round-off the edges other than continuously extruding and scaling.

I can tell you how I do it but there is probabbly better ways. I add a plane. Delete all vertices but one. Move it where I want the profile to start. Then control left mouse click to add another vertice drawing my profile until I’m done.

You cannot Spin & Spindup a curve but you can use the curve for the profile, then convert it to a mesh, then spin it!

Stefano

umm… here is a pretty good screw, spindup, and spin tutorial:

Here

i hope this helps

~Delta

>>… here is a pretty good screw, spindup, and spin tutorial…<<

To be honest, that very beginnning step lost me, so the rest is gee-wiz esoteric. However, that’s not what I was really getting at. What I want to know is how can I draw an outline that is subsequently lathed? What tool is available in Blender to do this? Are there none? It strikes me kinda strange if that’s the case. Ideally drawing bezier curves would be the best approach. Is this not possible in Blender? Kinda rough if that’s the case.

Yes, you can use a curve, but to spin it you’ll have to change it to a mesh since the spin function doesn’t appear in the edit buttons of curves (should be a clue).

Add a mesh and in edit mode delete the verts. Then Ctrl-LMB new verts and you can draw the profile you want.

%<

>>Add a mesh and in edit mode delete the verts. Then Ctrl-LMB new verts and you can draw the profile you want. <<

There has to be a more eloquent way of doing this. While adding Vs works in mesh mode, it’s kinda crude at best. If I add a nurbs or bezier curve, I kinda get what I want, but not exactly. At least I can add Vs to the curve, but is there no path tool that I can just start making a shape from scratch? In the nurbs or bezier curves, how do you "break the bezier “arms” to make them independent? Finally, how do you convert curves to a mesh?

I know I’m getting ahead of myself as far as these tutorials are concerned, but there must be a simpler way to create shapes to lathe, extrude, or loft. Any of the three above steps (mesh, nurbs, or bezier) took quite a while to create the wine glass outline to be used for the lathe. By contrast, using the path tool in Photoshop, I can create that shape on a heatbeat.

OK, I saw the convert to poly button on th ecurve tools panel, but you can’t be serious! Is there a way to get this to create a poly based on the curve rather than the number of poiints? I pressed that poly button, and the result was a joke at best.

Press Alt-C (in Object Mode) to convert a Curve to a Mesh. Then you can use Spin or SpinDup on the mesh.

You can change how smooth it will be by changing the "Order U, “Resol U,” and “DefResolU” values of the Curve beforehand (all found in the Edit Buttons). I generally use pretty low values (from 2 to 6) because it’s easier to add smoothness with SubSurf or Subdivide Smooth than to remove it.

OK, I saw the convert to poly button on th ecurve tools panel, but you can’t be serious!

luckily, we’re not.

to convert the curve to a mesh, not a poly(which is a type of curve still), press [alt+c] when the curve is in object mode.

changing the curve to a poly just changes what type of curve it is. thus, you still cannot spin it, because it is still a curve. you have to convert the curve to a mesh first.

i prefer bezier to NURBS when i am tracing my profiles, but its just a matter of preference.

There has to be a more eloquent way of doing this. While adding Vs works in mesh mode, it’s kinda crude at best.

it can be crude (on most jobs). if you’re worrying about the mesh ending up all…er not-smooth, then you can sub-divide it or just set the mesh to smooth.

i hope this helps you

and dont give up learning!

~Delta

OK, gotcha, thanks. Now it makes sense. Still, I think Blender could use a more straitforward path tool. You should have the option to create a path from scratch, as opposed to greeking the paths created either by the nurbs or the bezier curve option. Something along the lines of the Photoshop/Photopaint/Gimp path tool.

Is there a way to break the bezier arms to move them independently?

Like I said, I’m just getting ahead of myself with this tutorial, but this whole thing threw me a curveball I wanted to figure out. I’ll probably be posting millions of questions here, hope I don’t drive you guys nuts. :slight_smile: I really hope to try and make Blender work for me, as I had a real bad time of it with Maya.

Thanks again.

Like I said, I’m just getting ahead of myself with this tutorial, but this whole thing threw me a curveball I wanted to figure out. I’ll probably be posting millions of questions here, hope I don’t drive you guys nuts. :slight_smile: I really hope to try and make Blender work for me, as I had a real bad time of it with Maya.

no need to worry…

i remember flooding the forums with questions (i still do) the first time i was here… and im still considered new around here…

just keep asking quesions, becuase elYsiun is a great place to start learning

You should have the option to create a path from scratch, as opposed to greeking the paths created either by the nurbs or the bezier curve option.

the [crtl+LmB] still applies to curves, too. you can grab an individual point in the line that is created by the bezier, too (just in case you didn’t know)

~Delta

Is there a way to break the bezier arms to move them independently

Not sure what you mean but Ill try. In Edit mode each CV (control vertice) has two handles. So, assuming the CV is neither at the beginning or the end of the curve, one handle will control the curve behind the CV and the other what’s in front and each can be selected independantly with RMB. To select the whole CV RMB the middle point (the CV).

%<

OK, I found a page that discusses bexiers over here:

http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/Tuts/Courbes/Courbes_de_bezier/Types_de_poignees_bezier/Types_de_poignees_bezier_en.html

Pretty much spells it all out. Great little site.