Spiral Galaxy

Hello, all! Here’s the latest project I’ve been working on. I’m considering piecing together a tutorial in a few weeks after the school year is over.

This is done entirely in blender, with the exception of the film grain and slight blurring of the galaxy edges, which were done in photoshop.

Hope you enjoy it! Constructive criticism/other feedback is greatly appreciated!

stc=1

Attachments

awesome work

That is quite cool, I would love a tutorial, so I can try it out myself. I am not a big blender geek yet though :slight_smile:

Hmm i’m not sure why but it almost looks like a 2d image rather than a 3d one.

I can’t see any depth maybe that is why. It doesn’t look like it was taken from space, rather looked at from earth or something, not sure i make sense.

Nice work none the less!

This is looking very cool, although I agree that renderings with more depth would be even more interesting to see :slight_smile:

Thanks for the explanation!

Great work man! Space renders always draw my eye!

Looking forward to the tutorial, you’re methods sound interesting :slight_smile:

Nice work! but I agree with Yanal Sosak. There is a possibility to see a render in other angle? or maybe a screenshot of 3D view? Despite is a great work, another composition could improve more its space and deep feeling :slight_smile:

Sorry it looks so low resolution, it looked a lot better before I uploaded it to YouTube.
My question is: WHY IS IT SPARKLING?!

Here are a few stills:

I made it in the following way:

1. Used a black and white image of a galaxy uv mapped to a plane.

2. Assigned a particle system to plane, with the galaxy texture controlling particle density

3. Emitted ~400,000 tiny icosphere emitters primarily white with a few red and blue VERY high emitter strength

4. Turned gravity to 0 and gave the emitted particles small velocity with random variation to give the galaxy disk a thickness.

5. Added an ellipsoid to the center that emitted ~10,000 yellow emitting icospheres with the same settings to create the central bulge.

6. had the particles all emitted at the first frame and froze them a couple of frames after that.

7. then I did a simple fog glow glare node and animated the results. (threshold of the glare node had to be keyframed to adjust as the camera moved)

WHY does it sparkle like a firework?

Attachments

Hi,

from my experience, it sparkles because the particles/stars are too small compared to a pixel and you have too few render samples. Basically, you don’t “hit” a star with the raytracing reliably enough, so in one frame, you hit it, in the next framey, you don’t. You can decrease this effect by increasing the render samples, which will raise the probability that you hit each small object in the pixel. Or you can increase the star size.

Thorsten

I haven’t updated this in a while, as I’ve been busy finishing up the school year. Here’s a (very much updated) version of what I had been working on earlier. I’m still planning on throwing together a tutorial once I’m satisfied with the results, and this is much closer to what I’ve been trying to achieve (though still not quite where I want it).

Attachments