Spiral staircase - some pointers

Hi there,

So. fairly new to blender so maybe this is a newby question, if so I didn’t find a great answer to this.

• I created a staircase wich consists of 2 stairs and a handguard connecting them. The way I created this was offc. following tutorials: a circle, calculated how many steps & faces, created 1 step & added an array to it. Guardrail I did (1 face following the steps) with an edge and a screw modifier, this for each side and the bottom of both stairs.). Then connected the 2 sets by adding edges from the starting circle so it became 1 piece. I played with the vertices a bit to make it a smoother connection and tadaa. done. I hoped… :stuck_out_tongue:

• Unfortunately the boss would like guardrail to be a bit more ‘curvey’ as it now has a flat bit in the middle. Okay I thought, I will make a curve of the lines, make 'em bezier viddle around with them until it looks nice and just let blender make face when I’m happy.

• Well, I did all that, until the last step. Blender does make a face, but it looks a bit… horrid. As converting to curves-bezier, simplifying it (as 112 nodes was not that great to work with) and then converting back to mesh, did mess up the divisions I so carefully guarded in the first place.

What to do to get this right? And if possible, editable after as I can smell more edits in the future…
Also, would be nice to know how to create the landing (the place where floor and stairs meet) as most tutorials stop with, look here a spiral stair… :stuck_out_tongue:

Will add some pictures if I figure out how in second.

archipack stairs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKAvwAqymJU

Hey,

Thx for the reply! :smiley:
I forgot to mention: I tried that pack. Forgot to render out the thumbnails etc… so took a while to get it working :stuck_out_tongue: . So ye, it will get my layout quicker, but the problem of connecting both stairs with a smooth guardrail & also connecting the bottom to a floor in a smooth fashion is atm. beyond me :confused:

Making a curve out of the geometry and re-converting to geometry will alsways loose some detail/ will give different from… Why not just selecting the edges on the rail and extrude inplace an try some scaling (maybe exept Z) to have a flat topology and do some subdiv, transforming, beveling … ??

The reason why I did not extrude 1 edge to the bottom of the steps is because the bottom and the top of the guardrail are following different curves, yet on the same face of a cilinder. This to get a nice smooth transition betwoon floor & stairs. I don’t know if the boss will change her mind once it’s done so I wanted to get it as flexible as possible to change. Editing vertices and eyeballing how smooth the transition is, is slow. Trying to find an answer is aswell. (Not blaming any1 just searching tutorials, asking help and waiting for an answer is just slow going). So i’m continuing with moving vertices manually but would love to know if there is a way of doing this better and faster. :smiley:

I think you has given us not enough info then… Are you folowing ay sketch ?? You know how you did it (following offc.(?) tutorial… ) and can remake it (because you learned it now ?)… if you wanna be more flexible then maybe a more procedural approach would help but of course then you have to invest time… As @ozgur1 mentioned archipack: this will give quick prototypes which can be discussed (maybe the wishes of you boss weren’t precise enough??)… Or even geometry nodes… because we don’t know your background or the context in which this is made (or the conditions of it) there is a very little chance to get a perfect solution while being so new here on BA.

(I’m even not sure what you meant by:

or

.)

Thank you first of all for the time you take to try and understand my question and to help me out/point me in the right direction! My apologies if my question was not clear enough, I tried to be brief but left out some important info it seems.

So what I wanted to try is to get the curves as shown in my first post, and fill in the space between. The curves are near perfect ontop of eachother so it should be a near vertical face/mesh that needs to be created. But gridfill creates this (image above)… By converting to curves and back again the vertices don’t line up anymore.

For your other questions:

• A little background: I’m an architect, dabling in 3D (99.9% sketchup + Vray, Lumion, Twinmotion). But looking to improve the assets and models a bit more or even changing fully to blender (as it has plugins to make it a bit more of a cad program) if it proves to be easier. (At the moment I work with interior designers who just download random stuff from the 3Dwarehouse, not optimised and some of those assets just break sketchup and I get to clean up after them…).

As for the stairs:

• I’m following a rough sketch and some refences they gave me to base myself on. Alho’ none point out how to make the connection between floor/landing and the bottom of the stairs. (Most have a nice open space so they create a much thinner landing, while here I don’t have the space to do so…) So i’m just trying something to show and get feedback on.
  • I made a first rough design in sketchup. Good to look at from afar, but far from good…
  • The problem is not the stairs themselves, they are actually quite easy, I could get the rough idea out of the BIM software we use. It’s those damned guardrails that don’t really follow a simple offset of the path the stairs are taking. If that makes any sence :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Geometry nodes look promising, but alot more study time. I only dabled in rhino & grasshopper a few times in Uni, but that is a while back. But might be worth while in the future.
  • The wishes of my boss are whimsical and offcourse driven by the buyer. So one day it’s perfect and the other one it might become a totally different staircase…

I hope this made the whole thing a bit more clear, if not please ask further, I don’t know what more I could tell, but I get that sometimes… What seems logical to me because of certain factors, doesn’t mean it’s clear to everyone else because they don’t know the factors… :thinking:

Oh yes then you should have considered the curve construction on a cylinder for further modifing in the first place… Bezier curves gives different meshes even if start from the same subdivide bezier circle and only modifieing in z-direction… maybe use the curves to cut out from a standard cylinder … ??