Spitfire Cutaway

I have managed to add a little more detail to the wings over the past couple of days, not too much more to do on the air frame :slight_smile:

Almost there with the air frame. One or two more parts and and a little refining and I will be able to move on to the internal components :slight_smile:

Impressive work. Level of detail looks great.

Are you modelling the fuselage bulkheads and wing ribs with extruded beziers or is it all sub’d ?

can you give sort of a short summary of how these were built ?
was it using mostly wood or aluminum frames ecft…
and which model is this ?

looking very nice indeed

happy cl

Looking very good and proceeding pretty quickly given the complexity .

I have dug out these two images for you:

and:

Not sure if they help or not, but I hope so. I have taken a look in my spitfire books for more, much depends on which mark you are settling on.

Love the progress so far - out of interest - how many polys/verts so far?

Cheers, Clock.

EDIT:

I also found this one :evilgrin: - my wife, when she was still my girlfriend, owned one of these, not sure which I liked more - her or the car…

@ kevjon: I found a number of plans on Google that had sections, but each plan had slightly different shapes. I chose what said was a plan for a Mk 9 and traced the sections with bezier curves. The sections didn’t line up with he ribs which made it a little more difficult. The curves were then converted to a mesh and skinned. I could then build the frame from the skins profile.

@ RickyBlender: The Spitfire is a riveted aluminium frame and skin. The model I am working on is the Mk 9

@ Clock: Thanks for the images they are useful, especially the merlin, which I am looking forward to starting once the fuselage is finished. I received a Spitfire poster of the Mk 9 from Warbirds Restoration which is well detailed for the outer profile of the plane. Unfortunately the profile was different to the original sections I was using, hence the 3rd restart of the project.

I almost had a triumph spitfire when I was an apprentice, but ended up with a 1963 MGB GT instead. I learnt to weld rusty metal on that car.

Thanks all for the supportive comments.
Rob

I did the Merlin for the P-51
see post 42

not certain if it was the same engine !

happy cl

Hi Ricky - Yes it is the same engine, Rolls Royce supplied them as a replacement for the Allison V-1710 as the original engine was under powered. There were a number of variants of the Merlin as it was developed in service to get more power output.

Your work on the linked thread is very impressive. Do you have plans to bring it all together in an image or short film?

Regards
Rob

it was difficult to find good references for the engine so still an approximation I guess

i’m still working on some props
have to upload a few I did when I get time

but yes would like to do some WWII scenes later on

thanks for the comments

happy cl

That’s not a RR Merlin – that’s a Daimler DB 601 as used on the German BF 109. Easy giveaways are it’s an inverted V-12, with the cylinder heads pointing down, and the supercharger sticks out to the side. I modeled a Merlin -there is tons of reference out there on it.

The Spit is looking real good!

^^ Forgive my joke at everyone’s expense - I am surprised I got away with it for so long…

Seriously, I have Merlin images if you need them…

Cheers, Clock.

LOL - I just thought you had scanned the picture upside down.

It will be a while before I start looking for reference images on the Merlin, there is loads to do before that, undercarriage, cockpit etc.

Just had a play with freestyle to see how the airframe looks as a line drawing. Not too bad, but I need to learn more about how freestyle works.

Very good! This makes line drawings much easier than the way I used to do this in the '70’s - then we had to lay it all out in perspective view with correct vanishing points and draw it all by hand!

Cheers, Clock.

A little more progress on the fuselage, soon be time for the internal components.

Very good! This makes line drawings much easier than the way I used to do this in the '70’s - then we had to lay it all out in perspective view with correct vanishing points and draw it all by hand!

I remember it well, though in the early 80’s, drawing with rotring Rapidograph pens, and drawing plans on Gateway Natural tracing paper, because the only way to copy them was with a dyline machine. How times have changed.

Just tried out Blender Freestyle and fully agree - it’s been around a while but I never tried it till I saw your post .
Going back in time 1980’s? I remember my excitement at finding the book by C K Clutterbuck -3D Scale Drawing - opened up a whole new world to an amateur artist who was stuck with copying reference photos with all the pitfalls that entailed .

by the way did you see the addon to do a sweep across the model
interesting one

happy bl

Cool thing!

Thanks for the comments

Ricky - yes I did see that addon on blender nation. I hadn’t planned on skinning the whole aeroplane, but if I get time I might, and then do an animated sweep across the plane to expose the internal detail.

A little more progress on the skin: