Splitting a simple mesh (Beginner's question)

Hi all,

I’ve recently decided to learn Blender, and I’m having to learn the basics. :smiley: I’ve tried searching the forums and googling, but I don’t think I’m using the right terminology.

I want to model an eyeball - I’ve created a uvsphere and subsurfed it so it’s quite smooth. I wanted to remove a small section of it and make it transparent (to make the cornea). I select it with a boundary select from the side, and can remove the ‘cornea’, but I can’t keep both pieces of the sphere (eyeball and cornea) to put them back together again.

I’m probably going about this all wrong. What is the best way to do this, and what is the correct terminology when talking about such an operation?

Many thanks for your help,

Orestes

1. Select the part of the mesh that you want separated into a new object.

2. Hit the “P” key

3. From the popup menu select “Selected”
    You will now have two objects. If you selected the cornea part and hit p, it will separate. You can then add your cornea materials to the cornea, and the white materials for the white of the eye to the other part.

4. If you want, you can rejoin the meshes after the materials are on the ojects. This is done with ctrl-J in object mode. You might have to do some mesh merging or removal of doubles at this point to get rid of extra verts.

You can also add different materials to different faces of the mesh, but I won’t go into that here. I would recommend these tutorials to quickly get up to speed.

http://blenducation.org/wordpress/blender-fast-track-parent-page/

Many thanks LiquidApe!!

that’s pretty much what I was doing - I didn’t realise Blender sent the ‘cornea’ part to another layer (which is damned handy)

Many thanks for the tutorial link, I’ll be sure to check that out. Between those and my copy of Blender Essentials, I’m sure I’ll get there.

Thanks once again,

Orestes

check out these video tuts, and pdf , for a beginer such a I, they are great! Neil Hirsing http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html Boy if I ever get rich on Blender I going to mail Him AND Tom R some money! oh yea the tuts are free! wow. Check out viemo.com too

I keep learning and blender is really great ! amazing to me!