spore, moon flower (2 .blends added)

something i was initially using to try and improve my scene building and lighting experience. post pro added to give a brighter glow for the lights and things. Bg created in photoshop, plating texture created in blender. Enjoy…

http://www.uoregon.edu/~dwatts1/pics/final_small.jpg

Higher res:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~dwatts1/pics/final1.png

edit got ftp to sync with school server again, sorry about the weird link before :o . Also I will go into some specific things I learned and provide some stream-lined blends at a slightly later time… :slight_smile:

edit again I have two blends which quickly outline the process i used on the textures and the lights. If anyone has problems with using them just ask. I did put it together a bit quickly.

texture work (example textures packed):
http://www.uoregon.edu/~dwatts1/other_files/techpanel.blend

spore/firelfy technique:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~dwatts1/other_files/fireflies.blend

Great cover art!

Well, pardon me while I pick my jaw up from the floor. That’s amazing! I love the little red glowing mushrooms, the metal texture, and the white lights with the spores. Can you tell us a bit about how you did it?

And yes, a hi-res version would be marvelous.

@papasmurf: I’m glad you like it :slight_smile: although I’m not quite sure what you mean by ‘cover art’. something specific I should know?

@nyrath: Thank you very much for the strong compliment! I would be more than happy to go into what I did and learned. I did experiment heavily with particles and texturing. I think though that examples to play with may speak louder than words, so I’ll have some for you tomorrow some time… thanks for the interest :slight_smile:

I LOVE THIS IMAGE! great work! Me agrees: cover art for some cool SF book!

I’m impressed by this piece of work. Great lighting and atmosphere and so well balanced that I cannot stop looking at it.

I have to confess that lately I am impressed by the quality of work in the Finished Projects forum. Almost every day a good work keeps appearing and from time to time I stumble on a truly great piece of art like this one.

5 stars from me and I’m looking forward for the next one.

Examples would be wonderful! I’d love to see how you created those great effects. You say you created the plating texture in Blender?

That’s sweet, right there.

amazing work indeed , i like the atmosphere
keep the good work :slight_smile:

Definately amazing. Love the style and rich colors. Would make a great cover for a book…

I love s-f pictures like this. And you made it just great. lightning, texturing… maybe grass could be more curved, but I think it’s just a matter of taste.

the plate texture looks awesome. great ambiance/feel to the image! lovin it. this one goes in the inspiration folder…

Yeah, very inspiring. The interesting concept, all the little details, the beautiful, warm glows, the good postpro…all that makes an excellent piece.

Wow. This is amazing.

Nice! Looove the lighting!:smiley: :smiley:

Very cool, the particles are very well done :yes:, and i like the swirling ones coming out of the little lights :D.
Awsome Image! 5 stars…

Ooooooh wow… That is absolutely stunning! I have no idea what it is, but it still rocks. Five stars for you. :yes:

added the two examples at the bottom of the first post. I hope that they help bring new ideas to light.

@ristesekuloski: thanks :slight_smile: now i get it. I know what you mean.

@cipix: thank you for the support, it is nice to show off how powerful blender and its comunity are. some of these works here recently are pretty scary, they’re so good…

@Nyrath: coming at ya :wink: anything I missed or could explain better?

@BlackBoe: :slight_smile: thanks

@moh taia: thank you. that was on the list of things I was trying to accomplish. Glad to hit the mark!

@Crititrozoz: lol, yep but, alas… there is no book to match:no:

@budcai: I think I know what you mean… I was going a bit more for the straight look though. also i dont think that ill be doing another 10.5 hour render on this one any time soon.:wink:

@StompinTom: thanks a bunch! I was hoping to have an effect like that…

@Myke: funny you should mention inspiration, your ‘aesthetically unpleasant’ piece got me thinking about starting this. Couple months of work and here we are… Thanks for your inspiring work and good word.

@trevor: Thanks :slight_smile:

@blenditall: I really tried to get the lighting to work on this one. It got a bit complicated and out of control towards the end…

@otto riis: thank you, and if you’re interested the first post has the blend on how…

@Alden: glad i could rock you :RocknRoll:

Very nice :D!
Thanks for sharing the blend files :yes:, your setup is very cool ;).
Thanks again!

Very nice image! Thanks very much for the .blends, I will enjoy having a look at those.

I like it alot!

Cuby