Spot lamp

This is the kind of lamp that seems to be having a brief burst of fahionability for the moment. All the ones I saw were really poorly made given the prices they were charging, and consequently I decided to design a model I would be willing to buy (were I to have the financial wherewithal, that is). This is the current result.

For the life of me, though, I can’t get this to look photorealistic, and have no idea why. The current render screams “fake”, so can someone please pinpoint the problems?

It was modelled in Blender 2.5-bla and rendered in Octane.

There are two images of the lighting rig included (if it can be called that) since I’m certain that part of the problem lies there.

Attachments

Well most of the reason it looks fake to me is the environment it is in, the spotlight itself looks very nice. You are obviously going for a “study shot” type of picture but the background looks nothing like anything I have ever seen in a real study shot. Most of these kind of pictures have a plain white background as a result of the backdrop curving down and becoming the floor, not just a single plane. Here is what I mean:

Other than that I think it does look really nice. Good job!

Thanks for your comment, A’nW. The reason I went for that environment is because I have no idea how to light the scene for a purely white background - all help appreciated. If I have the time, I will have a go at that with the lighting setup you have kindly suggested above.

What I’m aiming for is to get the render to look like a product shot one would find in a catalogue or online.

It looks pretty realistic, but there isn’t a lot to look at? Try a simple background maybe?

I don’t know if octane supports this but… you could try this
http://www.blendernewbies.com/tutorials/swf/studio_backdrop_1/bn_studio_backdrop_1.html
its old, its very basic I know, but It’ll give you the backdrop you are looking for

@Guiseppe, I want the simplest of scenes, because my aim to make the shot look like a catalogue, so you would expect to have a completely white (possibly Photoshopped in) background with only the product in view.

@pefertig: sadly octane does not support that, an idea which occurred to me as well. Instead I decided to use the standard curved backdrop, and use a HDRI image for lighting, with a white reflector above and in front of the lamp to get rid of problems on the rim of the lamp.

Now, does this image look like the real McCoy? Do you think the average bloke (US: Joe :slight_smile: would look at this and consider it to be a photo?

Hi. Yes, I definitely think that could be mistaken for a photo. It looks very nice and real. The only thing that seems a bit off to me is the cord. It somehow seems to hang and drape a bit wrong, like it is to stiff or something.

Excellent. The cord looks stiff since I wanted to simulate the kind of thick-walled cable that resists bending into tight radii.

Above all, thanks for your comments!

A little more tweaking, and some advice from a similar thread in the Octane forums, has resulted in this.

Where is the best place (vis-a-vis Blender) to post the model? Blendswap?

I think Blendswap is the best place. People go there first and that is quite important.

Then Blendswap it is.

Great work.
The only comment I have is, if you went for a stiff cord, the kink where the cord encounter the floor seem a little sharp (or is it a perspective effect? ). Also the way the plug lay on the floor, standing on it’s 3 prongs, and not being disturbed by the weight of the cord.
Other than that, I would buy one…

nfloyd, you have a point, in that the cord needs a re-work, which is going to have to wait for the moment. Better yet, have a go yourself! I wonder if a spiral cord would be even cooler?

The model is on Blendswap, just search for light.

Now, if I could afford one, I would buy one too…

To be honest, that does look like a real stoplight, but being on this website automatically makes me think everything is in 3D so blame it on the environment I’m in. Anyways, have you tried setting the background to shadeless under the material settings to get the BG perfectly white. I’m pretty sure that’ll work.

By putting the background on shadless you would remove shadows, and that looks terrible.

Personally I think it is a nice background

I understand that you want a clean background for product presentation but your
background honestly is really boring and I think it be best if you added a simple
background to your render. Some options are… Curtains or Drapes, either Silk Black, Red or Mahogany,
Plaster or White Painted Brick. Seriously why be like most people out there using plain old Light Grey or
White Backgrounds? If you want people to be attracted to your stuff then add some originality to it.

JDA, I concede! If I have some time, I will try draping some silk and use that as a background.

For a catalog shot, the first and foremost problem that would have to be corrected is that brilliant reflection off the glass. The position of the lights and of the lamp assembly must be changed.

Then, for the brilliant highlights on the spotlessly-clean body. Dirty it up. Wash the surface with bar soap and don’t rinse the soap off. Let it dry and then buff lightly with a towel.

sundialsvc4 - fascinating stuff. You clearly know your stuff, and I really appreciate your input. Now, how can I pull off the equivalent of buffed soap in blender? Also, what would you recommend as a background? And - in for a penny, in for a pound - what lighting setup would you recommend? A softbox for the keyight, a couple of spots for fill and highlights? Since I will use eithee octane or cycles for rendering, reproducing physical lights will be easy.

As always, thanks to you and everyone else for the fantastic input.

I really like this. As someone who actually works in a lighting showroom I would bring this in for our display. I am glad you switched to the wood grain. It adds a different texture to the final render AND it is a very popular combo right now. As far as getting it to look like a photo in a catalog: Most of the catalogs I use seem to think it is taboo to show the cord. I however for the sake of the render like to see the cord. Most are on a stark white background with no shadows. Again for the render I like seeing the shadows. It makes it seem much more real. Just some FYI. The lamp over all is gorgeous! But I am a sucker for chrome.