Squares in render image

Hi, maybe it’s just an easy setup bud I’m really struggling to render non square images.
Here is a little example.

The object is about 0.75m high I use CYCLES with 2000 samples. In view port all looks great but render is horrible.

Resolution: 1920 x 1080, 100%

CPU: AMD 1700x
GPU: GTX 1070Ti
RAM: 16 GB

Thanks for help.

ldon

Can you clarify what you mean by ‘non square image’. Do you mean you’ve rendered at a resolution of 1920x1080 (widescreen) but the whole image ended up square, or do you mean the image is made up of small squares?

If you mean the image is made up of small squares, did you crop the 1920x1080 image to get the image above - what size did you crop it to?

Hi AlanT,
widescreen is fine and yes I zoomed in the image and I know what you mean now. The problem is that I used my video (other) on a project and I’ve been told the quality is low so that is the reason why I’m asking if there is any way how to improve quality.

Thanks

It looks like anti-aliasing effect.
You can try changing the “Render / Film / Width” value to experiment with its effect on edge anti-aliasing.

It looks like you are in Render Region mode (to be unchecked, under render size param)
Otherwize, could you share a blend ?
You View is suqared whereas you are in 1920 x 1080 resolution, it’s not possible unless you change pixel ratio of the camera, but that’s quite unusual …

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

If the quality is low because it looks like the render in your above image, then I think increasing your render resolution would help. Try increasing your resolution to 3840 x 2160, 100%. Also, if you increased the sample count to get better quality then you may be able to reduce it without losing too much quality, this will also give you a quicker render time.

If you’re only using small area of your image/video you could also move the blender camera closer to your model so that it only covers the areas you need.

Thank you all.
In the attached .blend is not exact image but you can see similar effect I get. Very squerry render image/video as you zoom in a bit.
(By the way I have no idea what a monster it is :smile:)

And I need 1920x1080 resolution AlanT so I would have to compress it again and maybe loose quality.

_ex.blend (2.9 MB)

Well,

I had a look on your .blend, and there is not any problem ^^
I think the problem comes from this :

Yes indeed, if you zoom in, you see pixels :

You can go Full HD (1920x1080) or 4K, or even 8K, 16K, whatever, the final Render is not a Vector Image (like you would have on Adobe Illustrator for example), it’s a rasterized image. So yes, If you “Zoom In” you will see pixels as squares.

If you want a closer look, don’t zoom on the final render, just get your Camera closer to the mesh, or change it’s focal, but you will always see what your call “squares” if you zoom because it’s just pixels :smile: !

See you :slight_smile: ++
Tricotou

Thanks a lot for your time Tricotou,

I know the final render is not a vector and image is from little squares (pixels) and in resolution 1920x1080 I’m not gonna get more the 2.1 megapixels but:

• I was surprised my video was rejected because of quality (unfortunately I couldn’t get more details so I thought it was squareish issue)

• How exactly the render sampling works? “128 samples in EEVEE looks the same as 1000 samples in CYCLES” (not exactly but … just example) All in 1920x1080 resolution.
    So I thought 1000 in CYCLES is going to be much more smoother.