Squidward Tentacles

I’ve been itching for months to do a Spongebob Squarepants character. It’s just the head, but that’s good enough :slight_smile: The model would probably benefit from some of his trademark creases in his forehead, but I think it looks fine for now.

http://www.koorts.co.za/wkoorts/pub_images/squidward.jpg

Modelled mostly in Wings; eyes / eyelids and render done in Blender 2.34.

Comments welcome, especially from fans of the show :smiley:

Mantis

Isn’t his name Squidworth? :expressionless:

Anyway, he looks very much like the cartoon character he is and the modeling is very clean and simple. In other words; good job.

My only question however, is why would you use Wings 3D and render with Blender? Wouldn’t it make more sense just to make it in Blender? Which is what these forums are about, by the way. :frowning:

Oh, and how about a toon render?

why would you use Wings 3D and render with Blender? Wouldn’t it make more sense just to make it in Blender?

Wiggie, an artist should use the tools he feels comfortable with using. Everyone percieves 3D in a different way. Our minds all work a little differently, thankfully. Having over 14 years of CAD experience, I find Blender to be a very difficult program to model in, because I’ve done “man-made” models (read: geometrically “primitive”), mostly, and Blender is simply missing much of the functionality of today’s CAD programs that make doing such work so much easier. Wings3D has a lot going for it as a modeler and should not be simply dismissed because its “not Blender”!

Which is what these forums are about, by the way.

I totally disagree! These forums are about creating work that utilizes Blender as one of the many tools to accomplish the goal. To say its “Blender only” is to dismiss a plethora of useful functionality that Blender simply doesn’t offer now, and may never. What about Yafray? What about GIMP (or any other bitmap editor of choice)? What about [insert your favortite artwork-creating software here]? Keep an open mind, in terms of tools, is all…

Wiggie:

Isn’t his name Squidworth? icon_neutral.gif

Nope, it’s Squidward.

Anyway, he looks very much like the cartoon character he is and the modeling is very clean and simple. In other words; good job.

ggie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:12 pm Post subject:
Isn’t his name Squidworth? icon_neutral.gif

I agree with mzungu on this one: Blender isn’t the be all and end all of 3D graphics. I just prefer Wings for organic modelling is all. I couldn’t have completed this piece without blender anyway.

There are lots of talented graphics artists at Elysiun… why not all share our knowledge and experiences with all Open Source graphics software? That’s what the open source community is all about.

Mantis

Looks good, but he needs the wrinkles like you said