SR 2019 Nodevember prompts

20 - mechanism:

MECHANISM

20-MECHANISM.blend (820.0 KB) - CC0 license

inspiration image:

Some procedurally generated, mechanically impossible gears!

The motion blur is procedural and part of the shader, keyframed for the animation.

I could probably add some taper to the teeth, and I might be able to better map which gears rotate counterclockwise, but this is good for now.

One plane, two lamps. Vector displacement and a couple keyframed values for animation and motionblur. Rendered with cycles.

1 Like

Day 21 - asteroid:

21-asteroid.blend (773.0 KB) - CC0 license

Inspiration image:

My take on Asteroid Ryugu. This was a pleasant change of pace, much easier than the previous days

Nothing particularly fancy going on here, lots of noise nodes, a voronoi for some craters, and some vector math to get the shape a little blockier to match the overall shape of the asteroid.

One sphere, one lamp. Vector displacement rendered in cycles.

1 Like

Day 22 - star:

22-star.blend (680.1 KB) - CC0 license

Inspiration image:

I tried to keep this one simple. I was starting to do a bunch of research into sunspots and solar flares, but I was pretty satisfied with the base I had already built.

I used the filament node pair I detailed in the microbe post to generate the convection cells, Which I then modulated with some noise. I used the blackbody node to generate some plausible colors and added in a strong rim highlight.

One sphere, Eevee renderer, and I leaned a bit on the bloom settings in eevee for the glare.

1 Like

Day 23 - Planet:

23-planet.blend (1.0 MB) - CC0 license
Inspiration image:

It took a while, but I got this to a point that I am happy with. There’s a lot going on in the shader, but I have again framed it and labeled the frames. Check it out

The terrain is generated with a cluster of noise nodes and some soft voronoi crackle. That terrain then is clipped to separate the land from the sea. The sea is colored by depth, the land is colored by a multi layered approach. First, bedrock is generated with some noise nodes, followed by noise foliage, followed by a snow pass. The ocean also has an iceberg shader that hugs the coastlines near the poles. Above the surface, there is a cloud layer, along with an edge rim atmospheric glow.

Rendered in cycles, one sphere, two lamps.

1 Like

Day 24 - Nebula:

24-NEBULA.blend (796.0 KB) - CC0 license

inspiration image:

This one was much faster than the last. I am very satisfied with the result.

Using my favorite voronoi filament effect, combined with some noise and a simple distance to center blend. Stars are voronoi, using a less than math node on the distance output to clip to spheres. I then split the channels of the color output to modulate the stars 3 ways: size, brightness, and color temperature. fairly simple, but highly effective. I’d be interested in playing with these stars a little further to generate galaxies.

One cube, volume shaders rendered in cycles

1 Like