SSS looks different in viewport and actual render

Hello I have a problem with SSS material, I’m trying to model and render a candle. I made a material, put lights in the scene it looks good in viewport but in render its just too bright. I dont know what might cause that, I’m guessing something in render tab but I tried tweaking every value but it still differs. Here is picture showing difference and notice the values of individual colors in render. Any ideas are welcomed, thanks.

EDIT: Both experimental and supported look same and it is rendered using CPU.

Check your scene settings, it looks like you might have exposure turned up affecting your rendered results.

Hello, thanks for answering, but i think i didnt change any exposure settings. Its just on default. I created new default file and put just candle and lights into it to test it out and its still same. No idea why it does that so i uploaded that file here: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/25077 . Can you look at it and test it please? Thanks

I think I have it!!

Change the SSS to cubic or compatible…

Gaussian isn’t suported in 2.69…
It’s the old methot and to slow so they removed this funktion…
You have to use a older version or use a other SSS “methot”…
(I don’t know if it works with a older versions)

Do you mean in SSS node? I tried that but result is still same. The preview looks good but actual render is still too bright. It works for you? I mean if you change it to cubic and press render its same as in preview window? And i noticed the plate under candles looks always same so it must be something with SSS

I tested it now a little bit more…
Compatible works the best…
With that enabled it looks the same…
Maybe the cubic setting includes a little bug or it’s just your scene…
But I don’t think that only this one scene has this problem…
My idea is, that in the viewbort is a little bit other samplin methot, because it’s liferendering, it has to be faster

Maybe you ask a developer when it doesn’t work…

found something interesting:

when you go to “performance” and change the “dynamic BVH” to “static BVH”, the the cubic and gaussian setting looks the same in the viewport and the rendered image

Thanks, I dont know but i cant find compatible thing, in SSS node i have only cubic and gaussian no compatible.Well i searched wiki and i found out that compatible was removed in newer versions. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/Nodes/Shaders
EDIT: THANK YOU! it works, but both are now too bright but i can now change that. thanks again. But it looks like a bug to me. I will wait if anybody know why its happening

here:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/25082

I made some changes and now it should look pretty simular to you viewbordrendering…
Change maybe some lightfalloff values and sss scale and then it should look the same…
:wink:

Thanks, i will look onto that. I will change that now that i know i can actually render it.

sorry my fault…
had mixed the two…(I red the artikel today and can’t say the right thinks…:wink: )
No bug, just to much light…
:wink:

I still dont get why are they different, they should only affect when is BVH built no how the scene looks.

Compatible is broken, wrong, and no longer exists.

SSS is new in Cycles, the kinks are still being worked out.

Ok thanks for explanation.