SSS Study

I posted to CGSociety today - waiting for their ‘approval’ to the galleries. I posted to cghub and cgfeedback the other day - both have one response each :o

@Beeckie68, ebb, fawdda, VickyM72 : Thank you :smiley:

@DoodLS: Ben Simond’sThree Layer SSS in Blender Demystified

I prefer to do a video (videos more likely) simply because I know it’s how I learn the best. And given the popularity of cgcookie and blenderguru, I’d say the majority of the community prefers videos. Of course I’d be honored to team up with either of the awesome sites! Emailing them couldn’t hurt I suppose :slight_smile:

@codedelight: lol, I was not told :smiley:

Very beautifull and realistic behavior of the SSS. Love the sense of thikness on the diferent parts of the ear. I think you have enougth talent and stuff to publish a pro tutorial. Im working in a Blender-Cycles shortfilm (http://alike-short.blogspot.com.es/) and we would love to include SSS into our pipeline. Despite the fact that we are looking for a Stop-Motion style (clay made, macro depth-of-field-look, scale model size,…) it would be amazing to include SSS.
We have been inspired by your work, really the first use of SSS in Blender that touched us. So we, and im sure the world will be very greatfull if you publish a tuto about your beautiful research.
Thank you very much and keep up the good work.

@barbas: Your short looks awesome!! Wow I love the style and the pro-caliber production value already visibile on the blog! YOU keep up the good work :ba:

Well fellow blenderers…I’m a little dumbfounded. Some of you suggeseted that I post these images on CGsociety to showcase Blender’s capabilities outside the Blender community. I was so honored by the request that despite my reservations, I submitted it yesterday! Today I received the rejection email:

We are sorry, but your recent art submission to the CGTalk Gallery has been declined. Your image is still hosted on your CGPortfolio. (“SSS Study, Kent Trammell (3D)”)

We at CGSociety.org would like to offer encouragement for your next submission. Your submission has been declined for the following reason(s):

• Your image currently does not meet the general quality level of the Showcase Gallery. The following are a list of possible reasons:

-There might be noticeable artistic or technical problems in your image.

-The context of your image may need a more creative presentation.

-The image might contain elements that could be offensive to some.

We suggest you post your work in the WIP forums so that other members can help critique your image and troubleshoot elements like composition, perspective, lighting/values, colors, anatomy/figure, as well as line quality, brushwork, modeling, textures, lighting…etc. They might also help you think of a more creative presentation, such as using a more interesting background for your subject, or choose more interesting camera angles, expressive poses and facial expressions. Once you have spent some time improving your image, please feel free to submit it again, and we will be glad to reconsider your submission.

The CGSociety Crew
Now, I know it mentions specifically the showcase gallery, but how pompous would I be to expect that? However based on the overwhelmingly positive response both here and on BlenderNation, the very high blender-praising compliment from Thomas Mansencal of MPC via cgfeedback:

Glad to have some serious Blender capabilities showcase. You just demonstrated that whatever tool within the hands of the right person can do fantastic stuff. Also proves that open source can produce awesome softwares…
AND the equally blender-praising compliment from Zentrope, cghub moderator:

Amazing Work with Blender…And i haven’t seen too many people produce such finesse work with this open source software…Soooo Awesomeeeee
(sorry for the long sentence-break) I did expect it to be approved for the Finished 3D Stills Gallery. Of course the rejection is discouraging personally, but much more it’s disappointing that Blender’s character-creating capabilities won’t be showing on such a popular forum. I’m sorry guys, I can’t help but feel I’ve let you/Blender down. I’m still so thankful and humbled by your comments and encouragement. Blender FOREVER!!

Oh, and a tutorial is in the making :yes:

Don’t you worry about that, theLuthier, I’ve received the same message twice or three times (it happened to my Larva and Sapper Rat as far as I remember). Of course it’s a nice thing to actually get your work posted on that forum but… the hell with them. Try our Evermotion site; I’m really curious how my boss will evaluate your render (and he’s a real experienced and talented artist), I bet you’ll get to the front page (without my help of course).

Hey, that is to bad. I personally can’t really see any reason they rejected it. Don’t let it bother you to much, I’ve seen far, far less worthy pictures on that forum than yours here. I do like it quite a bit.

I’m sorry - I don’t mean to toot my own horn, or rather wish my own horn was being tooted on CGsociety. My intention was to toot Blender’s horn. I’m with you: “the hell with them”.

@rozmiarek: I’m astounded that your Larva and Sapper Rat images were rejected. Those are top-quality pieces and more-than-worthy of the most popular CG forum. A real shame. And what’s the Evermotion site you mentioned?

Take a look at http://www.evermotion.org/; give it a try if you wish.

awesome, thanks!

Congrats! @theLuthier Your work shows the true power of Blender and Open Source initiative. So it is their policy to protect the sponsors therefore not to promote such type of works on the top - cover page. I cannot really find anything wrong with your image so anybody who said it such a remarkable thing should make an make an urgent appointment with a doctor for comprehensive eye exam. It must be then their problem and not yours. In any case, please keep doing what you do the best. Your time and work is too valuable to be spent on just another corporate sponsored admin with so many others, real 3D artist who search your forum posts with each day to find any updates on your workflow or making of section :slight_smile:

I’m absolutely with you moth3r…corporative policy seems the only logic reason for me to reject the work of theLuthier. Cant find any artistic troubles with the image of theLuthier… but I’m sure my eyes need more train. Anyway I will try to push up my perceptual capabilities, and i encourage theLuthier to push up his image too (if that its possible). Don’t give up, the sky is the limit.

Living the feedback path.

I would not mind cgsociety if I were you theLuthier, they are known to reject everything slightly related to Blender.

Your work is fantastic and you have several professional artists that agrees with that, don’t let it get to you, they are just corporate assholes :slight_smile:

Well Soenke got there:

And our own David Revoy, though not made with Blender:

I don’t think there is a bias against Blender. The reason this was not accepted is likely because it is not in a scene, and it only shows one view of the model. It is rare for them to accept a “model” unless it is displayed very well or super realistic:

Here is a great example of an entry that is sure to get in: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=1021626 -Many detailed models of the same caliber as theLuthier’s, all posed and in a cohesive scene that tells a story.

Had to post, I don’t want noobs thinking Cgsociety hates Blender. That is not good for industry relations.

Oh and EXCELLENT work on the model. You have outdone yourself, sir. 5 stars.

Amazing ! Excellent !

I disagree with the mention “Scene Need” look at this link: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1029494&utm_source=cgsociety&utm_medium=cgchoice&utm_term=1029494

I disagree with the mention “Scene Need” look at this link: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...m_term=1029494
There are of course images just of a heads (yours is a poor example if you want to compare with the image in this thread). Just a quick look in the gallery, the head examples are of a higher standard then the one here. They get lots of submissions so their quality level is high. The image here just didn’t make the standard. You just need to look on their forum to see the number of threads with really great images that have also been rejected. If it was made in any other application, it still wouldn’t have made the standard. Some blender users really need to get the chip of their shoulder.

wow wow wow

First, amazing work you did here Kent!

Now, IMHO this image have all the prerequisites to be accepted on show case gallery of CG Society or they need to complete the pre requisites with this reasons said about your work (what’s for me it’s bullsh**).
I have four work on my CG Society portfolio, only one has accept in the showcase gallery and it’s the more simple of all four. I think this is at least strange…Whatever, but I agree with moth3r, this is policy. Or I guess this is auto desk fearing the domination of Blenderrrrr!

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgSweet, I would love to know what you did!

We need a tutorial on this. URGENT. :wink:

yes, the whole blender community is waiting for such tutorial ! (and especially if it’s a video tutorial !)

The first tutorial vid is recorded! I’m just trying to figure out the overdubbing and editing…should be posting it within a week or so :eyebrowlift: