Stairs

What is the best way to set up steep stairs for player to go up? Without any alternation a player can only go up to relatively linear set of steps. What if these steps have to go up at a steep angle, what is the solution for it?

Thanks.

Use states, be creative. :wink:

In other words, when the player touches a stair object with a stair property, add a state to the player that adds certain velocities that allow it to move up stairs.

Worst case scenario, just don’t use stairs. :wink:

-Sunjay03

Use states, be creative. :wink:

In other words, when the player touches a stair object with a stair property, add a state to the player that adds certain velocities that allow it to move up stairs.

Worst case scenario, just don’t use stairs. :wink:

-Sunjay03

You can use an invisible ramp, and turn off collisions on the stairs.

I think I found a solution to the stair problem. Create a staircase where the vertical faces are a different object with a different material/property. Whenever the player touches the material/property, force will be added to push the player up. It’s a bit rocky, but it works, and it allows players to also go sideways and diagonally up the stairs. By overhanging a part of the regular staircase over the vertical part, you can prevent the upward motion when going down the stairs, as shown in the attached image:

Thats exactly how I did it too. For my it works better than an invisible slope.

Here’s a quick dirty blend to get started. Just a single actuator. You could parent a camera or something to the sphere or use the sphere’s motion to create an ipo or f-curve for a single step or two steps if you are using a rigged player object. Then edit the ipo (pre 2.5) or curve to change the shape, speed or cadence of the movement.

It wouldn’t be hard to have an invisible man just wearing shoes.

Attachments

stairs.blend (461 KB)

my version :slight_smile:
yellow is the collision

Attachments

I’ve just made a tutorial with a file example. Might help for someone.

http://www.gtown.ch/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&catid=39&Itemid=103