Star Fighter

Ok, I decided this was done. But any crits are definitely appreciated :slight_smile:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9342/ship57ng.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6654/ship68nw.jpg

I like the general model. I like the angry look the cockpit has :wink:

I don’t like the boxy texture on the right wing inside or the embossed looking logo on the top of the left wing.

I think there is a mistake on the second boxy texture on the left wing which has the pannel covered by the wing joint, that looks odd.

The texture under the cockpit looks a little flat compared to the other textures, maybe increase the nor a little?

Otherwise it looks cool.

Its pretty good but. The texture can be worked on more

The textures need some work. I like your ship design and the setting. I would make the panels follow the contour of the wing (especially if the panels are going to be that big).
Good work.

how do u get the after burner flare thing in blender?

Thanks for the replies. I guess the texture does need work, so I’ll see what I can do.

how do u get the after burner flare thing in blender?

Particles and halos.

nice ship. one crit though, if the ship is the only light source then why is there a huge shadow coming from the other direction on the biggest meteor?

Well, the idea was to have a planet or something off-screen where the light would be coming from. I don’t have any experience with lighting so I don’t know if what I have now would even work for that… If anybody has any suggestions for lighting that would be cool :slight_smile:

Ok, little update. I fixed some of the texture problems on the wings and i tried messing around with the lighting some. I decided to try having light coming from just the ship but Im not sure I like my results…
http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/1818/ship52yk.jpg
How does it look?

Ever though of actually modeling on some small lamps that illuminate the ship, as a ref. the Enterprise from StarTrek had lights that lit up the designation on the disk as well as light that shown down onto the engine area and shuttle bays. That would give you your local light sources, and then you could add in a lamp with low energy as a sun and move it out of the scene as your ambient light.

Ever though of actually modeling on some small lamps that illuminate the ship, as a ref. the Enterprise from StarTrek had lights that lit up the designation on the disk as well as light that shown down onto the engine area and shuttle bays. That would give you your local light sources, and they you could add in a lamp with low energy as a sun and move it out of the seen as your ambient light.

Thanks :smiley: Thats a really good idea, I’ll do that then.

I gave the light thing a try. There’s still a little more light then id like coming from the engine flame ( i have dim blueish light coming from them), but i guess its ok. How does it look?
http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/8015/ship74vd.jpg

Nice, it looks like a funny Tie-Fighter from star wars :o
thats all I can think of right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice composition and modeling

and good textures ont he rocks- something about them looks plasticky tho… i would try turning down the hard and spec values so the lighting on them looks softer

Honestly, I liked the one with a sun lamp shining on the rocks better than the latest one. Generally space is quite vast - so vast that the lights on the fighter can’t reach the rocks. So, the pic now looks like it’s navigating through a tight spot ('cause the rocks seem quite close to the fighter). But then that wouldn’t be very realistic either because it lacks motion blur. Okay, I’m rambling…

Summarized suggestions:

1. Motion Blur on rocks
  2. No local lamps, but sun lamp on rocks - makes them look far away, but bigger also. You’ll need to move all the rocks behind the fighter too… Perhaps a bit DoF would help with that idea.
  3. No rocks (lost in deep space???)

tris2004 wrote

Nice, it looks like a funny Tie-Fighter from star wars
Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah, thats what I got the basic design from.

Dwarfose wrote

i would try turning down the hard and spec values so the lighting on them looks softer

Yeah, I noticed that, I fixed it now.

yu_wang wrote

1. Motion Blur on rocks
  2. No local lamps, but sun lamp on rocks - makes them look far away, but bigger also. You’ll need to move all the rocks behind the fighter too… Perhaps a bit DoF would help with that idea.
  3. No rocks (lost in deep space???)

Ok, I put the sun lamp back and I tryed some DoF. Unfortunatly, it kinda blurred part of the ship as well as the rocks. Tha stars got blurred too and I’m not sure they should be… Anyway, heres the update…http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/4877/shipmblur7en.jpg

Wonderful!
Your most recent update is perfect. I’ve been following your WIP, and it’s come a very long ways. Congratulations, now call it done! Don’t listen to them anymore, we are in the finished projects. Call it done, save the file, and close it! Feel a relaxation course through your bones as never before. Good job man, it looks great.

Oh man… you’re right, it does feel great :smiley: Thanks a lot! I’ll call it done. Its my first project I’ve really finished… It feels great to have one down… And thanks to everyone who helped me out on this! You guys are great :smiley:

~Sam

I hunted this one down after seeing your avatar, and it did not disappoint.