Star World and Nebula with Tutorial

I’m hoping to start a journey of rendering spacescapes soon. The first step, I suppose, is to get a proper star field effect. After a few hours of work, I’ve come up with this one, complete with a nebula effect.

I really think Blender’s star world feature is lacking in several ways. The stars look really corny when it comes to animations because they pan past the camera at different rates of speed. My method involves mapping stars on a sort of sky dome, so they look much better in animations. The nebula effect was designed more for my spacescape still shots, but it could probably be used in animations as well.

I’ve put together a short PDF tutorial, which explains how to get the example render I’m posting in this thread. The tutorial may be found here.

It’s interesting to me how simple techniques can get such good effects. There are probably a lot more techniques like this which I just haven’t learned yet!

Note that I’m still open for improvement on this star world concept. If you know of any, please alert me!

Visit this page and click on the picture link for a high-quality render.

Attachments

Eerrrm, its a black square?
Oh, no, i see… something… very dark blue?

My apologies - I was so wrapped up in the colors and rendering of the nebula that I forgot that nebulae are generally considered to be brighter than the one I rendered. I’ve updated all the files and attachments.

Compare brightnesses with this picture http://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/lagoon-nebula.jpg.
I think you monitor is vastly too bright, this photo of a nebual is about right for my monitor. Even your brightned picture is still very dark.

Regardless of the actual brightness of a real nebula, you should adjust your image so it can be seen well. Think about night lighting in movies — if they filmed in actual conditions it would be pitch black. So I’d brighten this up a bit :wink:

I realize now that I’ve been looking at my iMac monitor at an angle - which makes everything appear brighter. Everything’s been fixed.