Starfield with nebula

Thank you HadesVsPluto.

Sorry to those who had questions regarding the tutorial, unfortunatly I had some problems with my account for a few weeks and was unable to respond to help out. Thank you to to the other members who took the time to help out, I appreciate it.

As a side note this same trick can be used to make some pretty good animatable clouds also.

Your welcome HadesVsPluto.

Yeah,

This script still does not work. whrandom is missing and causes the script to crash. The BLEND file renders nothing.

What a let down…

I know that this thread is a bit old but it helped me a lot with adding some textures to the background when I was struggling with world mapping. So thank you!

I did Google for nebula tutorial and whatnot and this is still the most relevant one for the more simpler and quicker effect. I would recommend cutting out the star-field portion as blender have built in star function in world material. Only real need to make the star-field is just to add only a few bright star, the types with halo :slight_smile:

One thing I did using one technique you mentioned that I never knew, the random selection, was to randomize the nebula. What I did was Step A to C and Spin Dup it 360° at a random view of it. that gives a LOT of vertices but that’s where this next step comes in. I repeatedly random select 50% of the vertices and deleted them until I had the amount I was satisfied with. What this really help with was to remove any chance of any vertices aligning in a circle near the poles of the original sphere that we duplicated several times over.

Again, thank you!

one of the first test clip with this tutorial, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaw2L4xYhE

No problem glad you found it useful, nice test animation as well! If you want to see more of my Tutorials as well as others I have found on the web you can check out this site: http://tinyurl.com/45qhjjq

i know there was a person who said the thread was old, and i found a link to it on here, but just wondering how i would go about this in 2.56?
i tried and my nebulae came out wrong, if your still around, reply to this and ill post an image so you can see the probleM :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm I have made a more updated version of this tutorial, though it is for Blender version 2.4 though I am sure that Most of the keys are the same a few have changed. I have tried recently to get the same effect in 2.5 but the nebula’s seemed to be too bright and I was unable to account for that as they did not have any added light set on them. Here is the link to the more update version: http://tinyurl.com/5ud99hy I will have to try to run a few tests in 2.5 and see If I can make a new tutorial I have learned a lot of new things since I first made this tutorial + blender has gotten a lot of new goodies so it should be a lot better then the original. Until that tutorial gets done you might want to give building the ship in my other tutorial as it would be a good addition to a space scene (plus it can be done in about 5 min (modeling) ) you can find that tutorial located here: http://tinyurl.com/4dmoug7

thank you blue spider, i did everything right, but as you said the textures for the nebula dont seem quite right, i tried adding a few things and taking away, and the best i could get was to add flare to the vertices…problem is, they didnt really show the texture, just created a randomizaton of color between them :stuck_out_tongue:

and ill check that out :smiley: i have made a few, but they are kinda crappy :stuck_out_tongue:
so thanks!

oh and i have ported this City script to blender 2.5, and i wanted to make a floating planet chunk that contained the city, but wasnt sure how to do it :P…thats why i need the stars lolol…everytime i put a background image of stars in it looks blown out :stuck_out_tongue: kinda sucks

I think it would be better if you just wait for the new version, on a quick run through of the Starfield & Nebula Tutorial there are definitely key problems, I have been getting together a Galaxy Tutorial, then I will see how far I can go In 2.5.

Great thanks for your contributions :smiley:
oh and i watched some of the space ship tutorial
good stuff!!
and your voice is nice and loud, so it works :smiley:

Yw Evil Moon MOose, if you want to make a low poly version of the ship just subdivide it less when you get to that part.Something is wrong with the Halos in Blender 2.56 beta, the halos are way too bright and nothing I do seems to change it. I am trying to find some kind of work around, right now it is not looking too good.

Blue spider, thanks for that tut, ive got a pretty good ship going on here :smiley: Any tuts you can give me that depict machine like bevel edges? im horrible with the bevel tool…
and as for the halos, if you add the flare and make the flares size about an 8 or 10, and remove star, and lines, then it gives a pretty good coloration, will post an image later

So no one else gets a “No module named whrandom” error when they run the script?

@Bluespider: What do I do to get this script to run?

[B]Evil Moon MOose just wanted to let you know that the Halo Problem has been fixed in this build on Graphicall [/B]http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=1650#comments I’m not sure what OS your running, but since it seems fixed I will be working on a New Starfield & Nebula Tutorial using all new Techniques should be ready in a few days. I have no Idea why some of my words are in bold as I do not have bold on.

Atom that script is no longer part of the tutorial as someone else wrote it and I can not write python scripts, it also will not be part of the new tutorial which is currently under development.

alright, thanks ill look into getting this new build, i have crappy internets, so it might be a problem, but thanks for doing this

Oh, great tutorial, BlueSpider, it’s very useful!

Thanks Chakra glad you like it, but the new one is even better & its for 2.5.

New Starfield Tutorial is up should be able to do it with any version of 2.5 Nebula tutorial will be up tonight or early tomorrow.
Here is the New 3d Starfield Backround Tut: http://tinyurl.com/6zpa7qo