Stargate Atlantis Cancelled!

It’s true. After five great seasons, except season four, the last episode of Atlantis will be the 100th episode, Enemy At The Gate. Being a hardcore Stargate fan, I am very heartbroken.

However, there will be a two hour movie to wrap up the cliffhanger that the last episode will provide. It will be premiered on Sci Fi and then sold as a direct to DVD movie. Hopefully, there will be more such movies afterward.

Thankfully, the Sci Fi channel has atleast put a green light on Stargate Universe. The third Stargate series.

Here is the full press release concerning Atlantis’ cancellation:

SCI FI CHANNEL GREENLIGHTS 2-HOUR FILM FROM MGM
BASED ON POPULAR ‘STARGATE ATLANTIS’ SERIES

New York, NY – August 21, 2008 – Building upon the successful Stargate franchise, SCI FI Channel today announced it has greenlit a two-hour movie based on the hit science fiction adventure series Stargate Atlantis. SCI FI will have the exclusive worldwide television premiere of the yet to be titled Stargate Atlantis film, which will then be released on DVD by MGM. The movie will be written by Stargate Atlantis’ executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, who also serve as series showrunners. The movie is set to follow the fifth and final season of Stargate Atlantis, as it draws to its thrilling conclusion in January 2009.

“We’re excited to tell Atlantis stories on a bigger canvas. The successes of the two original Stargate DTV movies The Ark of Truth and Continuum have shown us the opportunities that the movie format offers. We have plans for both SG-1 and Atlantis to remain vital as we expand the franchise,” said Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, co-creators of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis and who both currently serve as executive producers on Atlantis.

“We share in the producers’ enthusiasm to move forward in this direction and we look forward to a strong and continued relationship on Stargate Atlantis in this new format,” said Thomas Vitale, Senior Vice President Programming & Original Movies.

Stargate Atlantis follows the adventures of an intrepid team of military and civilian explorers who travel the distant Pegasus galaxy by means of a Stargate, a portal created long ago by a highly advanced alien civilization called the Ancients. In their never-ending quest to seek out other technologies left behind by the Ancients, the Atlantis team encounters alien cultures – some friend, some foe.

The series will reach a milestone with the 100th episode airing in January 2009. Atlantis is executive produced by Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Carl Binder, and Martin Gero. Mallozzi and Mullie share the reins as showrunners.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., through its operating subsidiaries is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units including Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., Ventanazul, MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in international TV channels reaching approximately 120 countries and territories around the world. MGM ownership is currently as follows: Providence Equity Partners (29%), Texas Pacific Group (21%), Sony Corporation of America (20%), Comcast (20%), DLJ Merchant Banking Partners (7%) and Quadrangle Group (3%). For more information, visit www.mgmchannel.com.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where “what if” is what’s on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site ( www.scifi.com ) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 93 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies.

Welcome to the world of trash TV.

I found that many good formats are being killed in favor of those
seriously retarded shows like "Americans Idol or what aver crap they show
the satisfy the no expectation level of those typical coach potatoes.

Quantity instead of quality - I stopped actually having cable TV simply
because I started to see the 50 dollars as a major waste of money for
QVC, stupid sports channels, and all the tons of annoying commercials.
In particular cutting movies.

I rather rent a DVD or watch it online.

Words cannot convey how stupid the sci-fi channel is for doing this.

“Hey, we cancelled SG-1 and that turned out ok. Let’s cancel SGA, too!” “Yeah, let’s do it!”

My word… http://www.whirlwind-games.com/forum/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_evil.gif

And movies aren’t the answer either. Yeah, they allow for more story, but unlike an episodic series there must be a conclusion to every one. You won’t see a movie end in a cliffhanger; the stories are bigger but they do not continue. And there some of the magic is lost. Personally I think episodic movies would be a good idea, but I don’t think it’ll ever happen that way.

And as for Stargate Universe, why would they cancel a successful show just so that they could take a risk on starting another series who’s very aim is to appeal to a different audience than the original franchise? Come on, they want it to appeal to younger people?! What kid doesn’t like spaceships and aliens and lasers? If they’re too young for Stargate, then they can watch Teletubbies for all I care. Stargate isn’t a little kids show, and it shouldn’t be. And if by ‘younger’ they mean twenty-somethings or teens… Doesn’t that age group already like sci-fi?

Info on Stargate: Universe here.

I still can’t believe that they canceled Farscape.
I think they cancel things just when they can go into syndication,
and then they’ll probably make movies.
Hopefully they’ll make movies.
If they make 150 episodes of something, and go into syndication,
it’s like giving away 50 free episodes.

Ah man, that bites(this was one of the few sci fi shows I even liked).

Yeah, I’m with Cekuhnen, tv is getting worse by the minute(with only a few great exceptions).

I stopped actually having cable TV simply
because I started to see the 50 dollars as a major waste of money for
QVC

My mother watches a lot of QVC, we even have quite a bit of stuff ordered from that channel.

But yes, I could care less about American Idol and all its knockoffs, though I think American Gladiators is a great show and Wipeout was funny.

Totally agreed. With the exception of Wipeout there isn’t much to buy a tv + cable tv subscription for.

That’s why I don’t have a tv anymore. No more annoying ads “buy this! buy that!”, no more reality tv, no more… aahh, really, it feels nice to get rid of that life-wasting shit.

Stuff like

Lost
John from Cincinaty

those are shows with quality.

Even Firefly had a decent story.

Thankfully they also do not mess up the new Battle Star

Well at least we’re getting Stargate Universe, ya know, Stargate is sorta like the new StarTrek.

I wonder if there will be any new StarTrek TV shows, I know they’re making a movie right now.

-Jimmy

I’m almost betting the Straczynsky reboot will follow the movie, depending on the box office.

Cancelling Stargate Atlantis. oOOh Noooo!!!:RocknRoll:

Sarcasm aside. I’ve only seen three episodes of this show. I don’t watch cable TV very often. Two were from this current season.

I’ll wholeheartedly admit the only reason I kept it on the channel was because of Jewel Staite. And you know… The show actually grew on me… a bit. I thought it was all goodie goodie until I saw one episode (last week?) that showed me they weren’t afraid to walk into the realm of f***'d up. I won’t be totally sad that it’s gone. But I can understand now why people would miss it.

I’d image you’re all feeling like how I felt when they ended LEXX. Once that show ended, along with Angel and Scaretatics, I was pretty much done with TV. Hero’s was the only show to revive my interest, but I watched most of the episodes online.

I think, for the more discriminating (not in a bad way) audience, television is about dead. And the stupid networks killed it. There are still some good shows, I know, but there are tons of crap quickly filling their spaces.

Yeah, tv networks are sorta like the church I used to go to, they get something great, something awesome and then thry end it, they kill it.

I remember “John Doe” was really awesome and there was a twist at the end of the last episode that made me mad that they didn’t end that show in a good way, “Now and Agian” was freakin sweet and they canceled it too.

-Jimmy

I sure hope so.

i thought that show was already over…

Bummer! Well we have the rest of season five ,at least one atlantis movie.
Maybe more sg1 movies. My personal wish is that the dude that used to be Baal
gets to help battle bad peeps in the next movie. I always love the underdog, and maybe he’ll hook up with Vala , and have some babies, you never know!
JF

D= How sad, hopefully Stargate Universe will be good. I can understand the SG-1s canceling after 10 great seasons but give SGA a break they only get 5 seasons? Its just like fox canceled firefly and made a movie.

Speaking of Angel… anyone who’s even slightly interested in getting quality TV series without the networks getting in between of it, should really consider to help making Docter Horrible conquer the world :yes:

(those who can’t watch Hulu or can’t buy it on iTunes, here’s a part of the first episode on Youtube, don’t forget to press the high quality link first!)

Also, if you’re a NPH-follower, you should watch it anyway :RocknRoll:

The NPH

Clazzick:cool:

I think I may have heard somewhere about a new Star Trek in the mix. It’ll probably take longer than the Sarah Connor Chronicles to actually get off the ground though. @_@

Edit:

Damn… that third act… genius…

Bugger… Thats some very saddening news… It was bad enough when they canceled SG1, and now this??
I was starting to enjoy SGA more than SG1, which i never expected. Such a shame…

Im getting more and more apprehensive about SGU now…

The show will be “a little more character-based, a little less rooted in a sci-fi mythology,”
Thats a worry… I dont want it to be some stargate version of home and away, or some kind of teen-adult drama.

Part of the new focus is a deliberate attempt to bring in younger viewers to watch Stargate Universe.
Personally id prefer it if they went to other way, and made it for older viewers. Im worryed it wont stand up to the more mature and scientific expectations of past viewers…

But we’ll just have to see what happens i guess. :no:

Well I’ll provide the minority report, IMO Atlantis damaged the franchise with a weak cast and a cheeseball enemy (the Wraith) supposedly more dangerous than the Goa’uld although they were not half as cool. Also, the franchise had already been damaged by cheesy psuedo-borgish replicator crap.

SG1 ran too long, not too short (and Atlantis should never have existed), and frankly it turned into a bad Star Trek rip off. They should have kept the show true to it’s original formula and had the Goa-uld enslave Earth instead of turning into a bunch of pansies.