static and kinetic coefficients of friction?

Hi folks! I’m doing a physics experiment in which i need to simulate a real-world scenario…in this case it’s a block sliding down an inclined plane. I can’t seem to figure out how to assign a value for the static and kinetic friction coefficients…I see the slider labeled “friction” under surface response, but is that really the coefficient of friction (if so, which one?) or just some arbitrary unit? And yeah…I can’t seem to find a similar slider for both kinetic and static coefficients.

I wonder if I should just use the game engine? Maybe that has the options I’m looking for…

Thanks for any help you could offer!

i’d really appreciate some sort of reply, whether its a “yes blender can do this here’s how” or a “no blender can’t do this”, because this school project is due soon…

The blender game engine and particle physics simulator approximates friction with a damping parameter that may or may not look anything like the equations your physics professor expects you to use. What level class is this? Anything that looks about right might suffice, in which case the game engine will do fine. I would not rely on the game engine for a 400 level college mechanics/dynamics course where you are solving the Hamiltonian with nonholonomic constraints. Either way, consider just solving the motion in advance on paper and then animate the (now known) positions as a function of time by hand with either key frames or drivers.

Might want to google Bullet Physics to see if the equations used are accurate enough for you.

see360: thank you for your reply. It’s just a highschool physics class but my dad (I’m homeschooled) is very in-depth and critical so the damping parameter solution probably wouldn’t work out so well…same thing with the keyframes idea (though a good idea!). My dad wants to see me solve this problem three independent ways, so although the first way is indeed to just apply equations and solve it on paper, the second one needs to be an actual simulation, not a manually-made animation. thanks very much for your reply though :slight_smile:

BrentNewton: yes, that’s probably a good idea, thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Don’t overlook wolframalpha.com (“block on inclined plane”) as an excellent resource.