static version still wants shared library

I just installed the statically linked blender on a mandrake 10.0 linux box. When I try to start blender I get:

blender: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc+±libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I know from the knowledge base that normally this means I have to install a library but this is the static version. I thought this wasn’t supposed to be a problem in the statically linked binary. Is there a genuinely static binary somewhere?
2nd question: What is libstdc+±libc ? Is that the same as libstdc++ ? I have
libstdc++5-3.3.2-6mdk installed. Besides versions, is that the same?
If I install a different library I’m liable to screw up my whole system.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

It is my understanding that the static part only refers to the opengl libs used. The static version can be used on a computer that doesn’t have hardware 3d.

I’m not familiar with the madrake packaging system but I do feel that you are correct about the package name except for version as you noted. You will also probably have to load a package with the correct libc6 to match the libstdc++ (thats why the lib is named the way it is). Debian would do this automatically but I’m not sure how mandrake works.

Don’t worry about installing multiple library versions. Linux has no problem with this unlike windows dll’s. I currently have 3 different versions of libstdc++ installed on my machine.

Hope this helps,
GreyBeard

edit
If you have hardware 3d working on your system then you should be using the dynamic version
** end edit**

found it buried in libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm. Dunno why the rpm version title is 2.10… whatever.
Thanks for the reply.
Art.