Steah - Sketchbook

The tree is nice. How well do the branches work for close-ups? I need 1 branch for a table top scene I’m working on.

I’ll render and post some close-ups this evening.

Here’s a closeup of the tree:

And here are the 5 twigs that come with the Scot’s Pine twig at https://www.thegrove3d.com/twigs/scots-pine/

Today’s blender fun : Barnacled Voronoi Fields.

Just getting familiar with Scatter. Assets are from their forest biome, the rocks are separated from the greenery with a curvature mask.

Started messing around with rigid body simulations, and caused a landslide!
Need to figure out how best to put a proper ground under it…

1 Like

I’ve not been entirely happy with the lighting on the underside of clouds in my renders when the sun angle is low. At sunrise/sunset the sun should be directly illuminating the underside, and I wasn’t able to make this look using the sky texture alone.
So this is a quick proof of concept where I set the sun intensity in the sky texture node to 0, and added a sun lamp to the scene. I think there is still quite a bit to think about, things like falloff and color gradients. This result here is too uniform across the sky.
Clouds use @Pixelshatter’s cloud node from 2018.

Been meaning to arrange a tall-tree forest scene for a while. Finally got around to playing with it. These pixies were willing to help out.

The second image on the right is missing most of the render layers. I liked the look of the volume direct pass, and combined it with just a few other layers for a pleasing effect. Fun times.

3 Likes

Working on a funnel cloud, and this showed up along the way.

Not exactly what I’m going for, but I thought it looked pretty neat.
I’ve also been playing with the volume object, but this one is simply a shader on a cube.

7 Likes

Another pile of rocks.

I’m still refining methods of creating a large number of rocks that look decent, without having to model them all by hand. I think this batch turned out pretty nice. Still a few issues with displacement in thin areas and where angles are too acute.
CC0 texture on the ground plane and hdri. The rock material is fully procedural.

I was working on my rock shader today, and got it to a point where I was pretty happy with it. So I appended it to a new scene to test it out… and this happened!

Still trying to work out what happened, and how to fix it.

So the issue was saturation and value.
In the original file where I was building the shader, I was in full sunlight, and made the colors quite dark. I had a hue/saturation node in the color chain where I also increased the saturation and decreased the value even more. After appending it to the new scene and setting up a forest with shade, I raised the value to make the colors lighter. Without also adjusting the saturation, this appears to have brought some of the colors above 1.0, which causes them to reflect more light than they receive. Thus the ‘glowing’ rocks.
I tweaked a little, but much more needs to be done to make these rocks work in shadows and sunlight together. Here’s a challenging scene with dark shadows and bright sunlight with the unfinished colors. The moss also needs some attention.

Torus with a displacement shader. Depth of the displacement controls transmission, so we get these windows. Inside, another torus with a noisy emission.
I just threw the noisy bump on to break up the surface. I think it could look a better if that were more carefully done.
Displacement texture was created with JSPlacement. Converted to 32-bit, and blurred it slightly in Gimp. Without this we get stepping (and the edges are too sharp).

2 Likes

Some goofing around with a cylinder.

7 Likes

Had a surprising ‘accident’ today, so I went with it:

It’s a cube with a boolean difference creating a long square hallway. Then the cube is deformed with a lattice, twisting the tunnel. The crazy crystal teeth things are from a musgrave texture displacement.

2 Likes

After watching another of @Mantissa’s great videos (thanks for putting them out!), I was inspired to try playing with hair. Some goofing around, and I decided to go for underwater tentacles.

Not super-thrilled with the results, but it was neat to play with :).

A test render I saved along the way:

And a really early fast test. I lost several of the appealing features of this render along the way, which is sad.

2 Likes

Some beautiful images I will keep an eye on your scetchbook :slight_smile:

1 Like

Playing around in the shader editor today, and made a fantasy style mountain landscape with displacement. I couldn’t come up with a decent way to fake erosion, so I decided to try importing it into Gaea and back into Blender. I hadn’t tried this before, and it worked out pretty well.
Here’s a shot with the heightmap from blender:

Here’s the same shot with the heightmap after erosion in Gaea (no additional modifications to the shader). I don’t have the paid version, so this is limited to 1k resolution:

1k is fine for background mountains, but anything in the mid or foreground needs way more resolution.

So here I simply averaged the two heightmaps, which worked better than I figured it would. I suspect there are better ways to combine them, and I’ll be exploring that! I’ll also mess with the material shader.

Lastly, an areal view (a top-down orthographic camera):

I followed this up on a WIP thread
And the Finished Project

4 Likes

Stumbled upon something interesting while searching around with F3. There’s function “Contour Curves”. No idea where it is in the menus, and I can’t find it in the manual. While I was digging around looking for it, I found that the Tissue addon has one as well, although they appear to be slightly different (at least the dialog is different).
So this lets you take a weight map and generate contours (like on a topo map if your weight map contains height information) where the values are the same.
Tissue also has streamlines, which appears to follow the gradient. I’m not finding much documentation, so I’m just poking at it.
Here’s a quick demo. The default ANT landscape (at 256 resolution) with slope, curvature, and altitude masks calculated in Scatter. Those weight maps are then used in Tissue to create contour and streamline curves. The emissive curves are based on the altitude map, and the glossy curves are contours on the curvature map (and maybe the slope, I don’t remember).

Posting this here so I can reference it when I forget. Maybe it’ll help someone else too :).

1 Like

2 Likes

More fun with mountains and clouds.

4 Likes