Steam coming from pipes

(Moritz Hellmich) #1

Hey i wanna create an effect where steam is shooting out of a tiny hole in a pipe and then creates a ligth fog but i find the smoke system confusing and i would apreciate help

(sundialsvc4) #2

Well, perhaps the best place to begin is with a break-down of your actual shots. Because, there will probably be several of them, and they’ll probably be handled separately.

• The first shot is: “the reveal.” An ECU = Extreme Close-Up of a steam pipe that either already has a leak or which, on camera, springs one. “Hsssss…!”
  • The next shot is: “the prestige.” This is what that leak-of-steam means. If “this shot is full of fog,” the audience will implicitly understand that the steam-leak caused the fog … especially if you had presented a shot of the same, but fog-free scenario as “shot number zero.” (Of course you don’t need to show the steam spreading through the scene – the audience’s powers of imagination will nicely fill the gap for you.)

Simple:

1. Show the “previous state.”
  2. Show the “cause.”
  3. Show the “present state” – a room nicely full of fog. _(Any intermediate shot of the fog “filling” the room would be unnecessary and tedious, unless it’s a plot-point (say) that the fog is caustic and so the protagonist is fighting for breath.)

These are actually three unrelated renders.

(Moritz Hellmich) #3

The problems are
1: i do not know how to create any of the meantioned types of smoke/fog
2: the Scene Takes place in one take with a moving camera where i cant cut to different screens

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

(sundialsvc4) #4

There are plenty fo tutorials out there on smoke and fog. Start reading and watching.

Also – you probably don’t want to shoot (anything) as “one continuous take.” It’s boring, and it’s unfamiliar because almost nothing is actually shot that way. It would take a long time for “a tiny hole in a pipe” to “fill a room with light fog,” and I doubt anyone wants to sit around and watch grass grow.

(wolfie138) #5

as sundialsvc4 says, it’s worth googling/youtubing becauset here’s some great tutorial vids out there.
FWIW, in my limited experience, what you’re wanting should be doable. Don’t take this as gospel but i think you’d need to

• set up your smoke emitter and give it some velocity in the direction you want the spurt.
  • give the smoke as long a lifetime as you need, to allow it to spurt and then pool.
  • tweak the gravity settings, so that the smoke will react and pool as you want.
    you’ll probably have to do a fair bit of fiddling w/ these and and the density settings etc, and your render times will probably be pretty high, but it should all be doable.

(sundialsvc4) #6

To my way of thinking, as I’ve said, start by showing us that the pipe has sprung a small leak. Then, CUT TO a room full of fog. The two are in fact entirely separate shots, occurring on the same set. The viewer will instantly understand what has just happened, and it doesn’t delay your story-telling. The viewer will also understand that “some amount of story-time has passed.”

It would take a long time for a small leak to actually fill a room of any size, and, who actually needs to see that happen? Keep the story moving.