STEAM OS to release on Dec 13th 2013

There’s a bit if info going around now concerning the new linux based open source operating system by Valve.
The first version of the Steam OS will release on the 13th of this month.

[http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/12/valve-first-version-of-steamos-to-be-released-to-the-masses-on-friday/

http://i42.tinypic.com/25rjpn4.jpg](http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/12/valve-first-version-of-steamos-to-be-released-to-the-masses-on-friday/)

Should be pretty fun to play with. Can’t wait to see what the community comes up with in terms of mods for it.

I wonder how that will compare with the Linux Mint Xfce I’ve got installed on this laptop? Based on the info, I would probably wait a while for things to get sorted.

they will need some sort of an edge to make this popular

any idea’s what time the download will be available? Also we should set up a little team to compile and test as soon as released, could we get Blender running in steam os with hours? should be a fun experience

Interesting read here: http://steamdb.info/blog/34/

That seems like a massive underestimation of Valve. As the creators of the most successful video game digital distribution platform, and one of the most bafflingly profitable companies, I have a feeling Valve has a good strategy up their sleeve.

Interestingly, Gabe Newell has said that he doesn’t even consider Microsoft and Sony to be as important competitors as Apple, who have already successfully integrated the TV, mobile, and desktop platforms.

By that logic, Microsoft should be successful with Windows 8, but it isn’t. Past performance is no guarantee for future success. Valve is where it is today, because it had a killer-app (Half-Life 2) and therefore could be first-to-market with something that wasn’t even readily accepted by gamers at the time.

It really depends on how one defines “success”. They can’t lose much with this, they’ve minimized their own investment (as they always do), which is why it’s easy to stay profitable.

I can only surmise that they have significant AAA support behind their back, otherwise Steam OS will be a very niche platform. The 3rd party Steam Boxes that have been announced so far also advertise Windows support. Maybe there will be a hack to quickly boot into Windows (with the “big picture UI”) and then back to Steam OS.

Source code released: Steam OS .zip / Steam OS Source repo

Bastard thing is theirs no support for AMD or INTEL, time for hackers to unite and see who can get steam os working on AMD cards within the next 24 hours

One of the devs said there’s AMD support coming soon.

Pretty sure HL3 will be bundeled together with Steamboxes. They might even give it away to all SteamOS users for free. Valve really dont need to make money from games, they just need people to adapt their platforms - software and hardware. Gaben is not dumb, they have a plan even if its not HL3.

There was a screen shot of their offices awhile back, and one user zoomed in on one of their monitors, which had a bug tracker list. One of the items was Source 2 with a tag HL3 or something along those lines. Additionally, staff information was released with the name of the devs working on HL3. So the cats pretty much out of the bag, we are just waiting for Gaben to sanctify the news and make it offical.

Their new means of revenue is based around user generated content, indie games and asset stores. Source 2 will probably be a game creation platform like Unity and UDK, and they will probably have some for of user content creation for HL3. Free or not, they will certainly make it as accessible as possible.

I felt like my post wouldn’t be complete without giving reasons, but I was too busy to give good reasons, so I kind of split the difference in a bad way.

I think attributing Valve’s success today to a lucky break nearly a decade ago is kind of disingenuous. Today, Valve has switched from a product-oriented business to a service-oriented business, raking in preposterous piles of cash by creating games that players become tangibly invested in. By playing almost any game on Steam, you automatically become invested in a complex economy that, for the most part, is pretty mobile. i.e., if you play Monaco or Gone Home, you automatically collect playing cards that you can either craft into little badges (not tangibly useful but kind of a gamer-rank thing) or trade/sell to other players for other items of credit on your Steam account. If you played lots of Team Fortress 2 but quit and switched to Counter Strike GO, you already have some capital built up to buy in-game items just by virtue of having played the game for a while.

Now, this is all just free-to-play business, but Valve formalized mobility within their platform and was pretty successful. I’ve got a few other reasons why I’d expect Valve to be successful, mostly related to their current success with platform development.

tl;dr, Steam is really good, so people like it, so I don’t feel too optimistic to suspect that the Steam Machine will be good and people will like it. Even if, like Steam, it takes a while for it to become good and for people to like it.