Steampunk Captain, Last Call!

Absolutely amazing progress. If it hasn’t been established enough already, I cannot stress how good the collar looks :slight_smile:

Thanks Thetax. Added stitched stars , cleaned up some stitching and cloth, minor details on goggles. Testing out a more saturated red on the shirt. Smoke is poorly faked, it will be a sim later. 5000 samples.

Astounding! can’t believe i have only just noticed this thread! great work so far, you’re progress is really good. The characters hair is incredible, although the peach fuzz may be a little too long?

Truly amazing work though so far man. This competition just keeps getting fiercer

Hey Photox

Looking really really good, the only thing that is is distracting for me is the wood???, not sure what it is texture that is on the goggles.

Shaun

Jamie, good eyes on the peach fuzz. I shortened them and increased transparency.
Speed. Yeah that texture and model is weird. I temporarily gave it a dark leathery look. I want to over the whole inner goggle eventually. Added more ornate gears/chains etc…

Redid the lip bump entirely, this feels better. Added frayed edge on lower collar. I’m going to start a grunge/piling pass on the clothes. I may start render layers and work on that right now it’s just a single layer render.

900 samples, no SSS.

I love how detailed this is. And the fabrics are great.

Thanks minoribus. I’ve been experimenting with some backgrounds but nothing really worked. This next week is crazy for me and won’t have much time to work on it. I’m going to keep making some sketches at night, and try and workout how to finish.

maybe blue instead of pink? I mean is police… great detail in the model

I found the hair had sort of the looks of a hat better for the image. She had to knots bending a bit outwards. Looked better :slight_smile:
Also the badge Seems to be stuffed on top so its in the image frame. Sometimes its okay to crop parts or make different crop of the body

looking good, maybe blue top instead?

Here’s a version with a blue shirt, I may change from police to more ship captain. The hair need another combing. This will probably be the last render for a week or so, I have a bunch of things coming up.

Click image for high resolution

great,yes the other things remind more of sea, than police… quite some imaginative pieces here :slight_smile:
i think, the skin could need more specularity, it looks quite dry. and the bump maybe is a tad too strong on the skin? look at her left temple/forehead…

Great progress, much has been done since i last checked in here :slight_smile: Glad to see you have started work on a background, the pressure gauge on the pipe work looks great.

My only critique is about the metal above the characters goggles, the bump/displacement may be to strong, as to me it resembles the look of crinkled tinfoil wrapped around an object.

Keep up the progress man, this is really looking great :slight_smile:

Doris, right on both counts, somehow I completely wiped out any spec on the face and set the pore bump too strong. Added some lower roughness gloss and turned down the bump, I need to repaint the forehead texture, it’ s a tough uv area. You know I never really thought about it consciously but this piece was influenced quite a bit one of yours. I can’t track it down but it was a kind of aristocratic Victorian woman with a cigarette holder. When you posted it I remember having a good long look at it and being deeply impressed with it. I wonder how much of that piece is reflected here. I never specifically thought about that piece (or looked at it) when working on this, and only looking at it later did I realize the similarities. While mine is improving it’s still about a 7, yours is a 10.

Jamie. So right. That part looks like absolute crap. I am planning a full rework on the inner goggles, I want to make them more telescopic and like 2 cylinders as opposed to tinfoil ski goggles. I did some modeling on them posed using local coordinates, which is never a great idea.

I’m going to have virtually no computer time in the coming week, so the goggles are going to get pencil and paper time.

Lower sample, with heavy vignette:

it looks like your going a little over board with the goggles photox.
the treankets are a little to much you might want to keep it a little simple if possable or add them into the background like you would a picture.

it looks like your going a little over board with the goggles photox.
the treankets are a little to much they are destracking from the picture you might want to keep it a little simple if possable or add them into the background like you would a picture or around the neck.

ah, marlene dietrich portrait you mean, oh yes, i see now where your influence came from :slight_smile: making happy dance :slight_smile: it is the best feeling when learning my work is inspiration and brings new ideas ,thank you so much for sharing photox :slight_smile:

good, skin is now much better!

I’m glad it brought a smile to you. Sculpting is tough, you start with a lump of virtual clay and even after a few hours it may look terrible. Your work has inspired me, and im sure others, to keep pushing on. Thanks!

Midnight, maybe I have gone too far. It is steampunk though, and needlessly ornate is the name of the game.

The collar is still standing out to me as awesome :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing your process. Very inspiring :slight_smile:

Thanks twodeer. I might make the lace collar longer.