Steel N Steam - Strategy game

…of sorts.

Well, as usual, you have to destroy your enemies in the game. To do this you have been
assigned an command tank and an small arsenal of weapons running on steam. Yes,
this game occurs in an alternative steampunk world.

Little facts about the game:
-Steam is your main resource, it can be “harvested” by buying steam harvesters.
-Units are divided into offensive and defensive, defensive units are nearly useless in
offense, and vice versa
-You control your command tank with keyboard, the interface is mouse-driven

I am also developing a small launcher/booter with wxPython. It can currently launch the same executable in windowed or fullscreen mode. It is just a little experiment, and I am hoping to add more functionality to it. :smiley:

Also an installer for the game has been made with the free NSIS install maker.

I was hoping to show you a small test version, but it was totally pointless, so I’ll just show you a crappy screenshot. I am hoping to post more tomorrow, but for now

HAPPY BLENDERING!!!

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/219/steelnsteamscr.JPG

Cool idea. I can’t really make out the enviorment from the screen.

Don’t waste your time: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78669

Little facts about the game:
-Steam is your main resource, it can be “harvested” by buying steam harvesters.
-Units are divided into offensive and defensive, defensive units are nearly useless in
offense, and vice versa
-You control your command tank with keyboard, the interface is mouse-driven
All I see is a screenshot - and not a very good looking one either.

I was hoping to show you a small test version, but it was totally pointless
As it stands now; this thread is more or less “pointless”.

Well, thank you, Social. :smiley:

I will add better screenshots today, but currently i’m on the computer which doesn’t have the game (we have 2, a better one, and a badder one)

Well, I know I chose the wrong time to present you anything… but I should be able to come up with better screens and more today.

2 more screens follows:

The first objects, from left to right in this order:
Factory, Steam plant, The command tank, and a harvester.
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/219/steelnsteamobjectsv1.bmp

And a screen to show these objects in the world:
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/219/steelnsteamnewscr1.bmp

Current “featurettes”: :cool:

-Harvester drives to the lake in the middle of the map, then constructs a steam plant
-Steam plants each generate +1 steam, you begin with 500 steam
-harvesters can be built

I was hoping that, if I don’t get myself into any troubles today, I should be able to make the first public version.

for now,
Keep blendering

EDIT: oh, and sorry for the bad gfx. I’m currently focusing on the gameplay side than the gfx side.

Looks very low-res texture wise and very low-poly model wise, do you plan to polish up the textures and improve the model quality by any chance? :confused:

As I said, i’m currently focusing on the gameplay more than the graphical quality. I’ll add more detail once i’ve got the game more complete.

Today I was also planning to release a small demo version. If i have time I might polish the models and textures a bit, but before that i’ll make the control panel’s buttons ready. (No function, just a placeholder)

Ground texture would be really easy to improve.

Well yeah, Iäll try to do my best before the demo. It’s only gonna be a small preliminary which should contain atleast:

-Steam meter
-Harvester building
-Basic camera controls

Well, the small demo is available now.

It contains
-Steam meter
-Each plant produces +1 steam at a steady rate
-You can produce more harvesters, but they don’t (yet) deduct anything from your
current amount of steam
-sigh… the ugly ground which was at the beginning. It changed a little, but, well, y’know,
it doesn’t really look good.
-Basic camera controls
-NSIS installer(FOR WINDOWS)
-the booter program, which allows you to lauch the game in fullscreen and windowed mode.

tested on Python 2.5

the installer creates an shortcut to your desktop.

When you want to uninstall the game, go to the directory where you installed it and press uninstall steel n steam.

Bugs
-A crash might occur sometimes when creating a harvester
-slight collision problems with plants
-zooming goes past the command tank

Screens soon…

Downloads:
Windows-only installer
SteelNSteam blend file

Controls
Camera:
Mouse Wheel - Zoom in or out
PgUp, PgDown - rotate camera up/down
Insert, Home - rotate camera sideways
WASD - move command tank

Button explanation
Opt button - options
Exit - quit the game. Right click to discard this
Truck Icon - create new harvester

In the .blend I cant click anything in the menu, and in the exe, you dont have all of the files.

by “harvest steam” do you mean “mine coal”? 'cause you can’t…really… put steam in a box (or tank, or w/e) to be used later, it’d just turn into water… even if you could, enough steam to, say, move a train, would take up SO much space, you wouldn’t believe it (again, you can’t compress steam or it’d just be water again, and not very useful for mechanical purposes)

Also, teh name Steel n’ steam makes me think of a game like, say, tonka trucks, or some game for small children. Mostly the use of the ‘n’ instead of ‘and’

okay, that’s it for my little rants. I’m D/Ling right now, so crits come later

[edit] okay, not many crits, because there’s not much there TO crit. (heh, not sure why I capitalized the TO, but w/e)
-you might want to have a rescource for building things such as steel to build things, and steam (ahem, coal) to maintain them (i.e. they won’t carry out their function w/ out power, even if you build them)
-I know it’s not really your fault, but I had a lot of trouble with stuff going flying etc. (physics errors) might want to look into that
-I really had no idea what any of the buttons did, some text (underneath the logos, or appearing on a rollover, maybe) would help a lot

Hello

I’ll not talk about graphics, it’s not important…but the menus don’t
work precisely…the splash screen it’s quite nice but almost unreadable
And the gameplay it’s quite confusing…
Please remember that the outside doted line in camera view should
fill the 3d view
Some more work?
Bye

In the .blend I cant click anything in the menu, and in the exe, you dont have all of the files

Oops, i forgot to make a background plane for the text menu. You must click on the first letter of the “New Game” text.

I’ve taken into account that all other posts than Yes’s first post have been criticism or an improvement suggestion.

Captain Oblivion: come on, where’s your imagination? Well, the name might need changing, and well it sounds a little unrealistic to “harvest steam”, but hey…
Well I can change it to an other resource - but then i need to change the place where to get it. Well, it’s not a big problem.

I am hoping to do next things to the next version:
-The rollover function
-More resources
-atleast one offensive and defensive unit
-enemy factory
-name change(okay, I got really embarrassed by OTO’s rant)
-better working menus
-physics bugfixes

the ground texture is so bland, It would be really easy to get lost given that I would be interested enough to play the game for more than a minute. What is with the sky textured part, are they on a floating island?

What is with the sky textured part, are they on a floating island?

No that was meant to be water. :spin:

This is not going well… :spin:

Well, the rollover function is done, and the menu has been made more useable.
I am losing hope…

Don’t loose hope, please
But don’t expect to make a complete game in some hours/days
Take your time

Ya, finish your game that it is playable then give the Demo.
Later start making better textures, models, more options !

omg… i feel like dying after that, you definitely need to practice more, its all horrible, i hate it, i hate it all, go to hell.

go to hell.

I knwo, this demo should have not never been released, but as usual i got too excited and everything went downhill.

So after this “demo” i’ve been fixing problems here and there and added some new features. I’ll show some pics once i get to the other computer.

-Rollover function(show what does which button do)
-“Steam” changed to simply “Resources” - then I can add more ways of getting resources
-You can now send miners(or mine builders) to a nearby mine. This gives +3 resource for each mine.
-fixed the menus.

In the near future I am hoping to do:
-first offensive and defensive unit, and basic functions for them
-Maybe a new income source?
-Enemy HQ, and that it sends units to attack you