STEP import

True this will require a lot of work, I forgot that parts of this addon are probably closed source which require recompiling binaries.
Anyway thanks for developing it, I’ll try it in a Windows VM.

Hi, I just bought and tested your importer. Is there a way to get the colours from the step assembly? I want to import PCBs, that usually contain lots of tiny sub-assemblies, quite difficult to re-color them all manually.
If you want to see what I mean, try this one e.g. (see “drawings” quite at the bottom of the page): https://www.trinamic.com/products/modules/details/tmcm-1636/
Thanks,

Axel

There’s currently no colors for sub-shapes. It’s something I’ve been working on and hope to get solved. Thanks for the test file.

You’re making my favourite addons :smiley: didn’t even try it but i got high hopes for this! Gonna buy this tomorrow or monday. I’ll definitely need this.

I just tried this out and this thing worked great. Imported a rather complex assembly and it brought in a very usable hierarchy. Eager to see if you get the whole color/material thing working! Great job

1 Like

Hi,

good to hear! Let me know if we can $upport you :wink:

I’m also still having high hopes of this. Will do repurchase if most planned features will be implemented in Ambi’s priority list.

Just yesterday I used this addon and while it works well as it is, there’s need for more functionality to use more often in production. For example today I would have liked to readjust tessellation on few individual parts, which can’t be done if Blender file is closed and reopened. But this and other things are known already. Current basic functionality works well, so I know this will have lot of users when further improved.

Hi Ambi,

Downloaded STEP_OCC_import_1.0.0 and installed it on Blender version 2.90.1. But am getting an error message:

Just curious as to what I am doing wrong. Could it be some sort of issue with my .STEP file I received from my client? Running macos v10.15.6.

Thanks for any help!

I don’t think there is any part of the addon closed source, the addon it-s GPLv3 and @ambi said before in this thread that the code comes with the addon, so you may be able to recompile everything and make it work for Linux :slight_smile:

@fjp

You can try replacing the OCC folder inside the addon with https://anaconda.org/pythonocc/pythonocc-core/7.4.0rc1/download/linux-64/pythonocc-core-7.4.0rc1-py37h6bb024c_0.tar.bz2 (lib/site-packages/OCC) from https://anaconda.org/pythonocc/pythonocc-core/files

I haven’t tested it but it might work. It’s just not something I can currently officially support. There’s also MacOS build for the library, for those who feel adventurous.

Although you probably have to track down all the dependencies for the .pyd files, or install them through the distribution package manager, after which you would have to make them available for dynamic linking using whatever method your OS uses.

There’s also the hurdle of Mac using digitally signed binaries and if you try dynamically linking something that’s not signed in the right way, it will simply fail.

Hello, thanks for this amazing add-on !

Very effective, it has help us switch from 3dsmax to blender ! :slight_smile:

On one file step, we’ve got a problem, when imported, all the parts are in the same meshe.
And with max 2017 all parts are separated, I don’t have the skill to discuss about the step file, but I thinks this probably do to a group or something.

Is there a chance to see something in your add on. Or I missed an option in the addon.

Best regards.

Hello again!

Is the addon still at 1.0.0 or has a new version been released? Do I need to re-purchase for the latest version? I bought the add-on on August 22nd and it was at version 1.0.0 at the time.

Thank you!

Also, could it be that the linear deflection and the angular deflection parameters aren’t interpreted in actual length and angle measurement units but rather in ratios? Relative either to the mesh bounding box dimensions or to the triangle edge length? And that accounts for the weird tessellation and the tessellation not seeming to correlate that well with the values used for these two parameters?

What should a stupid person do who has not noticed the large “Windows Only” font?
I specifically keep Windows on an old laptop to export CAD through Cinema4D.
The urge to get rid of Windows closed my eyes.

For issues like that please send me a private message here, or use the email in the receipt. Also are you using Linux?

1.0.0 is the latest. I’ve almost done with colors, just a couple of minor bugs to sort out so then I can push the new release.

3 Likes

I’ll leave this here and see how the general opinion is on what should I focus on.

My preferred operating system
  • Windows
  • Linux
  • Mac

0 voters

All sub shapes are joined together. All the main shapes are separated. But if there’s a need to separate sub shapes I might add that as option at some point in the future.

Sub shapes should be in sub collection, when you need to animate parts and you can’t edit the step file it will be really great :slight_smile:

Will we need to pay to get update or not ?

Thank you very much for this add-on and best regards.

Hi all.

Let me ask a question. My imported STP model looks faceted even though I turned on smooth and auto smooth options. Do you know what I would need to do to solve that? Thanks