Stereograms!

I have heard of stereograms, but have never managed to see one properly (I just started trying). I have astigmatism (yes, there’s no space between a and stigmatism) which might be the problem, but I don’t think so. Has anyone here sucessfully seen one? Tips would be greatly appreciated, and a link to the first one you managed to see would be great too.

My mom has astigmatism and she can’t see them

Good luck

I don’t think it might be that much of a problem… It may make it difficult to see some parts of them, but I don’t think that’s the reason… Try a little bit harder…

I also have astigmatism and I can see them…

I’ll try to scan the first one I ever saw and post it here later… It was really nice…

There is a plugin for gimp that creates stereograms you know… I’m not sure if it works with version 2.0 but I managed to compile it for 1.2.5 and it does some really good work…

yes there is also a sequence plug in but i dunno if it ever work…
ther eis also a perfect little program that take a tillable texture with a gray map to build a stereogram very funny for some time I puted all my projects in stereogram…

the prog was… bigle3d on windows. google for it.

oh man, i thought everyone was talking about the band stereogram.

what IS a stereogram?

They are pictures which if you look at them the usual way, you only get to see a bunch of abstract patterns… But if you look at them closer and with a specific way (you know, “cross” your eyes or something…) you get to see some 3D image coming out from them…

Some of them are really good and it is considered some kind of an art… Personally I think they are o.k., as long as you don’t overdo it… It’s not the best way to spend a whole afternoon you know… :stuck_out_tongue:

oh right, i’m with you now. in new zealand we call them “magic eye” images.

and i only ever got one of them, when i was 10. never got any since, not even the same one.

My dad and I both have astigmatism and we can both see them.

Hmm… sounds promising, I’ll keep trying. I got the impression of depth in ONE, but there was nothing in it so I think I was imagining it. XaoS (a realtime fractal generator/zoomer/explorer) has a filter to make stereograms, and has a neat effect where it looks like you’re falling onto the fractal, but I haven’t been able to se the fractal yet…

[edit] oh yeah any hints as to how to see them the first time? Also, any good websites?

hmmmm…HMMMMM…i havnt looked at one lately, but it was always hard for me to see it. it prolly takes me about 30 seconds of examinineg the pic then i can see it. kinda wierd

ok i’m going to blend one very easy for your right now…

here you go, this is a very simple one, the answer is in the blend file but don’t look before you can see something!.
http://www.netconnexion.ca/~gbeloin/elysiun/stereo/testme.JPG

Blend file

Done with: bigle 3D

Hey, thanks a lot for the lead to the fractals app!

Here’s the same blend, rendered with my random-dot stereogram sequence plugin:

not quite as pretty - I’m trying to figure out a way to use a custom picture as the repeats - it’s not as easy as it sounds with the blender sequence API…

Incedentally, I’m slightly astigmatic in my left eye, but not to the point of needing glasses (but nearly, my eyesight is about 6/11.5 and they give glasses out at 6/12 :o - about 20/38 and 20/40 in the old money) and I can see them fine; my father is shortsighted iirc, and he can see them - but has to take his glasses off first despite needing them for reading; my sister is shortsighted and very astigmatic, and she can’t see them for love nor money.
Put that in your statistics and smoke it.

The only time I ever saw an image was ages ago. I looked and looked, then I saw an Elephant… then someone told me it was a flower or something. So I came to the conclusion that I will never be able to see them.
I have like, as good eyesight as most people like. So I dunno…

people have deifferent hard to see such images, for instance I haven’t yet succeded in seing those with two images side by side. And the one with noise is harder too see to me than the one with the patern. So you you can try practice on simple ones to get the hang on how you are supposed to use your eyes.

My mum has astigmatism and she can see them. Took a while though. It took me months (literally) but now it’s simple - just don’t give up. I found the best way is to focus on a more distant object and slide the sterogram close to your face whilst maintaining the focus. It’s not at all easy the first time but it gets easier every time. Eventually you’ll be able to change focus at will, but it takes a lot of perseverance.
I bought a book called “Super Sterogram”. It has many excellent images all with two dots above. When you see 3 dots you have the correct focus. If you can find a website that does something similar, this may be helpful. Unfortunately I don’t know any… %|

I have never been able to see one in my entire life.

yes, those are quite easy for me to see. ive got in the habbit of(just when im bored, and got nothing to do) crossing my eye’s like that. so it kinda came naturally,lol

oh, so crossing your eyes as well as focusing is what you need to do? Ok, I was just re-focusing. I’ve always been good at crossing…
/me goes off to find a stereogram to try