stereographic 3D fruits

a stereoscopic update to an old scene… all this talk of 3D TVs, Nintendo 3DS and all has kept me salivating. :yes:

Hope to see an automatic camera option soon in blender rather than alt+d the camera, put it a bit aside, make 2 renders and join them in Gimp… come on, you know it’s not that difficult! :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, to best see it, put both of your hands in front of your face, blocking all but the center. Then try to focus… :slight_smile:

edit
ok, guess I’ve gone one better in the effect and made it slightly clear by converging the side camera focus to the point the original is focusing rather than let their focus parallel. Kinda like when we focus an image by slightly crossing eyes. Like, indeed, to visualize this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

edit 2
hi, guys. I’ve posted my best shot to finished projects:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=190197

and also found out I was doing it wrong if cross-eyes view without the need of glasses was the goal: images to the right should be to the left and vice-versa. The finished image just displays much easier and better, without even needing DOF to cause less eye strain… :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

That looks awesome!! … How did you made this stereo effekt? Is there a script or Photoshop template? Or have you some guide for me?

Hey, that looks pretty good, maybe remove the dof, or intensify it.
Also it would be cool if you made some thing like the graffiti images in this sitehttp://www.stereoscopy.com/gallery/index.html) (scroll down a bit) like in the last graffiti one(3rd one), the blue graffiti, appears to float right in front of everything…sooo coool.

hey, thanks guys. DDD, I saw the gallery. Gotta wonder why the effect is far more evident there than here… :confused:

here’s one without DOF and a bit more intense (cameras further away from each other) stereographic effect:

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/7119/stereofruits3.jpg

and one with DOF and more modest stereographic effect:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2295/stereofruits2.jpg

there’s no secret, only a bit more work: you make 2 renders and join them in a image manipulation program side by side. First is with your current camera, second you clone your current camera, put it a bit to the side (should be a distance approximate to that of your eyes from each other), and possibly rotate it a bit so that it’s focal point converge to that of your original camera (checking limits in camera settings should give a nice idea). alt+0 to make it your current camera and render. That’s all.

Yeah this is better! I like the one without the dof though!
Here is a little trick that should help, make an empty and add a track to constraint to both the cameras so they track the empty, them you can move both at the same time to get any angle you want!
I havent looked into this, but i bet you can render both at the same time, and combine them in the compositor, but maybe not…i dont know.
Question, how far apart exactly did you put the cameras?

distance approximate to that of your eyes from each other
what do you mean exatly?

haha, I love DOF…

Here is a little trick that should help, make an empty and add a track to constraint to both the cameras so they track the empty, them you can move both at the same time to get any angle you want!

I parented the cloned camera to the main camera. :rolleyes:

I havent looked into this, but i bet you can render both at the same time, and combine them in the compositor, but maybe not…i dont know.

Dunno. You’d still need two cameras, though, I guess. Or maybe someone would play with one of those vector filters or transformers. I have no clue.

But to have it as an option for a camera, that would kickass. I mean, Blender already have render presets for HDTV, why not embrace 3D as well? :slight_smile:

Question, how far apart exactly did you put the cameras?
what do you mean exatly?

that’s a good question: I don’t know. I simply played around with lots of different angles and distances until finding out some good setting. They are not that much far apart though: their graphical representations are intermixed. Very close together.

I mean the 2 cameras should be as far from each other as your 2 eyes are.

two more, DOF and no DOF. I personally think DOF makes the effect stand out better…

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5090/stereofruit6.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7281/stereofruit6nodof.jpg

well, guess this is it for this set. I think skyscrappers should be a nice subject for stereograms… now where’s that Blended Cities script? … :smiley:

DOf is an interesting one with stereo scopic images.

a) Dof is a camera/lense issue so looks correct in a still photo
b) An eye will focus on an area and DOF will be a natural result.

when you add DOF to a stereoscopic image you make it more realistic, but only for a single focal point. If i then wish to focus on something in the background then the DOF will fight nature. They don’t yet have this sorted with tecnology which means you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Stereoscopic is always nice, it just makes sense to shwo 3d in 3d.

agreed. But think of this: stereoscopic images already have a clear focal point. If the effect is too strong, even without DOF areas out of this focal point begin to strain your eyes and look odd because it’s a static image while in nature your eyes would simply create a new focal point around this new area of interest.

That’s why I prefer with DOF in any case. :slight_smile:

moved up to obsolete this thread

The images are reversed. The left should be on right and right on left. It’s 3D, but objects closer appear further and objects further appear closer.

hey can you put up a screenshot of the scene? i’m curious how the cameras are configured.

@padfoot, yes, noticed that too late. But it’s now corrected in Finished Works.

Alltaken:

no mistery: you clone your camera, push it a bit to the side and render again from it, then join together the two scenes in a image editor. Be sure to put the render from the right camera to the left in the final image and vice-versa for cross-eyed view. Though I believe that’s not quite the camera disposition I originally used: I also rotated the cameras a bit so that their lines of sight eventually crossed instead of just going parallel. Quite like when you cross eyes to focus on something.