Stewart platform

I’ve been away from mechanical visualization for a while. Starting to get back into it with EEVEE. It’s ridiculously powerful once you get used to what you can and can’t do with shaders.

Check out the 4k animation on youtube:

And the artstation post here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/18wJ9L

72 Likes

Great Stuff!

1 Like

I understand how you probably did the pistons, but how did you get the tubes to animate like that?

1 Like

I used a 3-segment bezier curve with two hooks. I then took the middle hook and added 2 distance constraints – one for the beginning of the curve and one of the end. That way the middle of the bezier will always try to keep its distance from the 2 ends.

Here’s an example:
hose_example.blend (765.4 KB)

This is not a very good solution, there’s at least one better solution using a follow-path constraint, but I don’t fully understand how it works.
One problem I haven’t seen someone solve is twisting along the axis of the curve, since rotating a point on a bezier along its axis doesn’t do anything.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re #featured! :tada:

1 Like

@derGoldstein, I hope you’re proud of yourself! :rofl:

That’s impressive :+1:…now I’m going to have to look up “Stewart platform”!

EDIT: for the less-informed readers here (like myself) – the Stewart platform!

3 Likes

so high youll never know. up to top row you go.
Nice work! Such detail. I love it.
Congrats.

1 Like

Hello,

First, Your model is really fantastic, nice work :+1:t2:

This is not a very good solution, there’s at least one better solution using a follow-path constraint, but I don’t fully understand how it works.

Maybe this could make you better “understand” the use of constraints . . . as well as the different “approaches/possibilities” given by the other contributors of the post . :slightly_smiling_face:

Piston constraint.

2 Likes

Wow!

Got me thinking now…

1 Like

Thanks! I needed that :grin:

1 Like

The usual trick of “animating pistons” is that you actually animate what the piston is (in the real world …) driving, and the piston object actually follows it, subject to constraints.

Great on all departments. Stunning!

Nice, I look your other works like Geneva Wheel Mechanism. It’s like you love such stuff :grinning:
Good modeling, rendering and animation + interesting topics. Hope to see more such stuff in Near future/

Outstanding work… love the animation!