Still Life for RPG game menu

I don’t usually post here in the main forum, I work exclusively with loy poly art work for the Blender game engine.
However, this project turned out better than I expected so I’ll be posting it here.

There’s no WIP thread for this artwork as it only took 2 hours to model and texture.

I’m going to be using it for the main menu, it will be slowly rotating in the background as you go through the options and setting for your game. Because of this it’s designed to be viewed at all angles.

It’s rendered with the in game renderer, using single texture mode, no fancy GLSL stuff, the shadows are baked. It has around 7000 triangles and a single 1024x1024 texture. Main objects have mirrored UVs so it wasn’t possible to bake the shadows completely.

Since it’s a real time game model you can also see the model at sketchfab:

I hope you enjoy it. :slight_smile:

I have been checking your project from time to time, those models look really nice.

Are the table ‘decorations’ just an alpha plane?

What is the poly count on the lantern?

I like the models…for just 2 hours of work, they look impressive.

Thanks for the interest, the lantern is about 1500 triangles. that would be crazy high poly for a normal in game BGE object, but this one is just for a menu, so no other objects will be rendered, only the things in the scene.

All the objects are made of polys, no transparency, I’d have liked to spend more time on giving the objects more optimized geometry, like working some more on the edge loops on the skull (the eyes and nose hole are pretty ugly if you see the wires), or cutting down the unnecessary verts on the lantern. If you look at the sketchfab viewer you can turn on wireframe mode to see the geometry.

I’d also liked to have spent more time on the table legs, which have a pretty bad texture but I only had a few hours while my baby was sleeping so I had to set myself a time limit.

Here’s a (somewhat old, but mercifully short) video tutorial of how I made the objects:

I don’t have a lot of time for my hobby so I’ve had to learn to get the most out of it in the shortest possible time. This method of modeling and texturing allows me to make a lot in a very short time.

I have used the ‘project from view’ before but that method is pretty slick. Thumbs up, will definitely try to implement it sometime.