Sting from lord of the rings

hey all this is the sword from lord of the rings C&c welcome i may change things depending on how big of a problem it is
http://www.antihc3.dyndns.org/fudge/sting7.jpg

tell me what you think Fudge

Really nice work chocolat Fudge, but there are some things you could change for a better look.

First of all the setting is really simple, not important but you could give the wooden plane some depth with a bump map.

Perhaps you could make a very fine bumpmap and a bit more worked out UV map to the sword to give the idea of a used sword.

The mash itselve is very good

There’s a specular-highlight at work on the top of the guard but that’s not where you need specularity most. You need it on the cutting edge. You also want to work your lights-and-shadows to advantage. Some careful re-lighting of the scene would help tremendously.

I don’t know if you intention was to create exactly the sword used in the movies. If that is the case then the blade is too straight and the elvish text should be in a wave not a straight line. Otherwise nice work.

(A reference picture that I found)
http://www.kuttersknives.com/closeups/uc_1264lg.html

Are the letters of the writing being reflected somehow?
I don’t think that should happen - it looks weird.

Are the letters floating above the blade?

Caleb

yay its in finished projects :D. very nice dude.

Really nice work chocolat Fudge, but there are some things you could change for a better look.

First of all the setting is really simple, not important but you could give the wooden plane some depth with a bump map.

Perhaps you could make a very fine bumpmap and a bit more worked out UV map to the sword to give the idea of a used sword.

The mash itselve is very good

hi thanks for the comments but im going to keep it like this but i will bare it in mind for a future project

There’s a specular-highlight at work on the top of the guard but that’s not where you need specularity most. You need it on the cutting edge. You also want to work your lights-and-shadows to advantage. Some careful re-lighting of the scene would help tremendously.

thanks though this was my first try at proper lighting (it really isnt my strong point) so ill try and get better

I don’t know if you intention was to create exactly the sword used in the movies. If that is the case then the blade is too straight and the elvish text should be in a wave not a straight line. Otherwise nice work.

(A reference picture that I found)
http://www.kuttersknives.com/closeups/uc_1264lg.html

thanks but my aim wasnt really to make a exact copy, i was using it as a base for an idea then made it in a way i like it

Are the letters of the writing being reflected somehow?
I don’t think that should happen - it looks weird.

Are the letters floating above the blade?

Caleb

yeh the letters are foloting but i couldnt get the uv map to work so i just did add text with an elvish font

yay its in finished projects . very nice dude

lol yes it is fianly finshed :stuck_out_tongue: thanks

Fudge[/quote]