Stonehenge....

Well… not exactly… but something similar…
I used Ambient Occlusion and some extra lights…

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v281/masterdwarf01/henge2.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v281/masterdwarf01/henge1.jpg

md01

I love the lighting. The modelling is good too, could you make some larger renders now pleas?. :wink:

As a matter of fact… I am doing that right now… it’s taking along time with the AO and the raytracing… I’ll put them up when they are done…
Thanks for the compliment b.t.w.

md01

That would make a good desktop background. Good job. :smiley:

as I can see from those miniscule pictures, lighting and texturing is good (though a bigger picture might be more reviling). But ( yes there is a “but”) the “roof” stones are bit to flat - they should be thicker, the water have good reflection but I suggest you to look for a tutorial by stefano (aka s68) about volumetric water. Over all very nice - but also very small, maybe post a bigger pictures?

love it! would make a cool background could you get a huge render - more than a 1000x1000?

I look foward to giving C&C to some larger renders. Keep it up.

Here’s a bigger render…

Does anyone know why I keep getting these jagged lines around the reflections of the puddles of water ? I have osa all the way up … I also have AO totally up …

I am just too lazy to do post production to blur it out so I just left it in there … so don’t nag me on that please… :slight_smile:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v281/masterdwarf01/hengebig1.jpg

I like to render my pictures ridiculously huge then just size 'em down to how big I’d like them to be, which seems to make them much crisper if done properly. You might try that.

I really like this image :smiley: but it seems to be missing a few pieces of seaweed/kelp and maybe some broken pieces of seashell – no beach is that clean. A tiny crab crawling around the rocks would be neat too. These additions would add some colour contrast to the rest of the scene as well as some added points of interest. The lighting and textures on the henge is really well done.

Ramblings of my impression,
GreyBeard

beautiful. try using gaussian sampling to get rid of the jaggies. and turn up samples on everything you can think of. :stuck_out_tongue:
<edit> also you could try env mapping which you have much more control over as far as the appearance of the reflection. mainly the bluriness.

Nice job, great textures. PLEASE POST A LARGER RENDER! :stuck_out_tongue: How did you get the rocks to bumpmap the textures?

Very nice… I always have difficulty with rock materials/textures that work is superb! (mind giving a material setup or even a tut) I like the sky as well… is that just a plane with textures or you’ve addeded textures to the world? Raytraced right?

• emk

I like to render my pictures ridiculously huge then just size 'em down to how big I’d like them to be, which seems to make them much crisper if done properly. You might try that.

Yeah…that’s a really good tip … the only problem is that you have to wait for a large render!
:slight_smile:

I really like this image but it seems to be missing a few pieces of seaweed/kelp and maybe some broken pieces of seashell – no beach is that clean. A tiny crab crawling around the rocks would be neat too. These additions would add some colour contrast to the rest of the scene as well as some added points of interest. The lighting and textures on the henge is really well done

Well… actually you are right… I was too lazy to even use fiber… I might put in some plants still though… seashells is a good idea too… again … uhm… lazy…

beautiful. try using gaussian sampling to get rid of the jaggies. and turn up samples on everything you can think of.
<edit> also you could try env mapping which you have much more control over as far as the appearance of the reflection. mainly the bluriness.

Gaussian works… i’ve just got to figure out the right settings still …
:wink:

I will post the second pic also larger… *my compu is sooooooooo slow…

md01

Yeah…that’s a really good tip … the only problem is that you have to wait for a large render!

But you don’t or barely need OSA. Cool renders btw. Really good water! :smiley:

uhm ? why don’t I need osa ? :slight_smile:

md01

i like it! great water!

The idea is to render 2x or 3x the size and scale it back down in
Gimp or PS.
Example…
1024 x 1024 to 512 x 512.

Now, how did you do the water. :-?

The Jaggies are due to incorrect oversampling code… Textures, reflections, etc. aren’t actually done. IIRC it’s fixed in CVS.

The idea is to render 2x or 3x the size and scale it back down in
Gimp or PS.
Example…
1024 x 1024 to 512 x 512.

Now, how did you do the water.

Okay here’s the trick…

1. I took a plane for the sea-bed.
    The first one is a non-reflective plane wich will make up for the sand … I used stucci and sized it correctly… You can also use a normal texture map … whatever seems right for you … I tweaked the colors a bit to match my taste and added some noise…

2. I placed a second plane not too high over the first one…
    Give this plane high reflectivity, relativly high raymir.
    I made the diffuse color almost white (cause it won’t then interfere witht he seabed too much)… also I put a light blue color for the specs and turned the alpha down to about 0.6 (depends on your taste)…

After this I put another stucci texture on it and mapped it to norm/csp/cmir/ref/spec/raymir…

1. With normal lights you have to play alot with fresnel to get the desired result … but with AO … it’s much easier…

Hope this is clear …

md01