Stop Motion OBJ (OBJ, STL, PLY sequence importer) - v2.1.1

Thank you neverhood 311.

If I want to model in blender and texture paint in mudbox and bring it back into blender to render will this addon help or should I use the autocad fbx converter and bring it back as fbx 2013? No animation.
Thanks

Seems like this addon isn’t the solution for that. This addon only deals with importing multiple OBJs, STLs, or PLYs as an animated sequence.

Thank you neverhood311.

FYI, the Blender 2.80-compatible version of this script is under active development and is mostly stable. You can find it here: https://github.com/neverhood311/Stop-motion-OBJ/tree/2.80 Please check it out and create Github issues if you find any bugs.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the addon, it’s really great! I have a couple suggestions for features:

a) “Bake Mesh Sequence” should have an option to keep or apply modifiers. (This is really easy to work around, just select the baked mesh sequence and a copy of the original object, link modifiers. Then, to apply them, alt-c and convert to mesh. Of course, it’s necessary to seek to the proper frame before applying the modifiers, if they are animated at all.)

b) Make it possible to bake as Alembic. I’m not sure how much work this entails, maybe there’s already a tool out there that does this?

I’ve been fiddling with idea a for a while, if I can figure out how to make that happen, can I post the code here? I don’t know how to use GitHub yet. It’s on my to-do list to learn.

Edit: I’ve figured out how to export the mesh to alembic, or rather, the guy in this stack exchange post has: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/101787/obj-sequence-to-alembic-format.

It turns out, all you have to do is add a modifier that does nothing, and Blender will read the mesh data correctly.

@neverhood311 This add-on seems closest to something I was seeking a while ago.
The main difference is that instead of sequencing the object’s visibility directly, I was intending to find a way to convert an object’s shape keys into a pseudo-skeletal animation by way of assigning a bone to each vertex as described in this workflow. My questions for you are,

• How feasible would you say that workflow is?
  • Would you change anything in the workflow?
    And,
  • Has anyone created add-ons that I could use to automate that workflow?

That could be a useful addition to the add-on. To be honest, I never tested that scenario. What currently happens if you try to bake a sequence that has a modifier?

I hope that stack exchange post is adequate for your situation. I never intended the add-on to be any sort of file format conversion tool, so exporting a sequence as alembic is outside of its scope.

I couldn’t really comment on the feasibility of your proposed workflow since I’m not familiar with the problem you’re trying to solve.

hi neverhood,
Thank you for the add on. It helped alot, but my mesh sequence didnt import the texture of the files. Is there any option that I should enable for importing the .obj files along with the texture?
Thank you very much

The texture should be imported with the .obj files as long as it’s part of a .mtl file. If you don’t have a .mtl file, you’ll either need to create one or create a cycles/eevee shader and import the texture that way.
Keep in mind that if you have a different texture for each .obj file, you’ll likely want to have a .mtl file for each .obj file.

Does your .obj file have a .mtl file with a texture map defined? If so, this might be a bug and I’d like to help fix it.

thank you very much . It worked. The problem was with the .mtl files. Now it works

Hello,
I need to save the animation after loading once, in the form of sequence of 3d files(instead of a 2d video-something like vrml) and play them whenever wanted instead of loading them everytime . Is there any way to do that. Sorry if I didnt put the question in a correct way
thanks

Alembic is storing visibility information so you could just export the desired framerange of you’d want to re-use it in other packages. If you want to save is as separate files frame by frame I think there were some addons for exporting, not sure which one’s work in 2.8 though.

1 Like

Hi,
thank you for the addon. It helps where Blender fails, I mean alembic support. Several suggestions:
a) make it auto load on start (no load sequence button);
b) make it stream meshes instead of preloading them (very important).

Best regards

c) make it ignore empty frames (add null?)

Hello,
Is there anyway we can import colour information to visualize the sequence instead of the texture as I didnt find the any option to enable the colour information. Sorry if I am missing basic thing , as I am quiet new to blender
Thanks in advance

Hi @Abhaya_Dhathri_Arige, what do you mean by “import colour information”? Do you have per-vertex color information on your meshes?

Thanks for the feedback, @amandas. I’ll send you a DM with a few claryifying questions about your suggestions.

Hi @neverhood311

Yes i have per vertex colour information. When I load the sequence how can I able to visualize it along with color.

my .obj files vertex/faces format as follows:
v 307.8798 86.6957 -95.3191 0.1 0.9 0.5
v 308.5099 86.8042 -95.3007 0.1 0.9 0.5
v 309.1407 86.9196 -95.286 0.1 0.9 0.5
f 1 2 3

Thanks in advance