Store a selection set of adjacent edges without them merging into faces? (2.8, also probably 2.7)

Take a torus. select each edge ring; I want to save that selection and bring it back after triangulating the torus, so I can dissolve it. However when using vert groups to save the selection, the result after retrieving said selection, is that faces in between are also selected. Same result from using the creases to make out the edges. As soon as you go select similar/ select by crease, it selects the faces in between.

How can I store a selection set of adjacent edges without them merging into faces?

EDIT:

Found ONE solution thus far, but would love to know what else is possible. You can use edge bevel weighting to save this kind of selection. However, if one does not wish to ruin prior edge beveling, this is not an acceptable solution. What else is there?

The selection of faces makes logical sense if the point rings surround the polygons.
One option, (off the top of my head), would be to checker select the rings, assign each to it’s own group, that way, you won’t have adjacent points on a face. If you use edge mode, you don’t end up selecting the faces as not all edges of the polygon would be selected. So in that instance, I’d say select one edge of one ring of the torus, select edge rings, then select edge loops to get the rings. Set a vertex group. Select the edge rings again, but before doing select edge loops, choose select->checker deselect. Store this as group two. Then once you select the group with all the points afterwards, you simply deselect group 2 to get the alternate rings. Assuming I’m understanding what you are saying.

Colkai, thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hmm. I think there may be too many steps and this would not allow you to model say, a rope out of a torus shape as quickly as i had to today. Unless perhaps, you selected all the coplaner geo, and inverted that selection, deleting the old edges then beveled the resulting spiral geometry. You’d need that selection of each individual ring so you don’t collapse the geo doing all this. For speed sake, i might stick to my method until i find another way to retain selections more accurately.

Vertex groups can’t save selection of vertices which share faces without converting selection into selected faces. You can use your own way but instead of Bevel marks use Freestyle marks (assuming you don’t use them extensively for rendering) and select via Shift+G menu, same as with your way which is workaround as well but it will work.

That said, certain case might matter. In case of a torus it might be easier to just select an edge ring (there is shortcut for that, it differs for different versions), then select edge loops based on it with Ctrl+E (edges) menu.

1 Like

Ahh freestyle marks! Googles