Stormy Cabin

I continued with my previous scene, and decided to go for a more dramatic lighting scenario. Everything is fully 3D except for the sky, which is added in Photoshop.

The vegatation is made with Graswald Assets in combination with the powerfull Scatter 5 add-on. The trees in the foreground are made with The Grove add-on, and the trees in the back are from Maxtree.

Lighting is an HDRI in combination with a sunlamp.

Viewport render:

37 Likes

Respect! This is a great one!

2 Likes

Thank you!

Looks amazing really like the lighting

1 Like

Thanks! I am really happy with the results myself.

1 Like

Hi Bruin!
Great work! I really like the mood and framing with contrast. There is also great color grading with nice, natural looking vegetation.
If I would change or add something, I would change a bit of composition. I mean, now you have your clouds in parallel line with ground path. That path leading great to the cabin - your main point. But it’s overwhelmed by those big, clouds, which are only in half of the image. I would make full sky with stormy clouds and I would chose those more leading to horizon. That would make image more pleased, but of course in my opinion.
Second thing is the emptiness of life in interior of the cabin. I would furnish that with some stuff, or even put some smoke to the chimney to link interior with exterior appearance - it looks abandoned. Of course I could be possible in real life, like it’s awaiting furnishing, but in CG if we want to tell some story those little things can disorientating of viewers.
Third my point, it’s small, I had similar problem with that. That would be the small white outline at the edges of the image, where the alpha channel is. I don’t remember sure with option in compositor fixing those, but try with adding node “alpha over” or with apha convert - something like that. You can also fix that, a bit, by loading transparent info in PS and then adding again mask on your image. It can also fix that, but it can also damage small details at the edges, like small leaves, twigs. Just look, which method is best for you.

You was not inviting to criticism, so sorry if I invited myself :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for your detailed feedback, really appreciate it!

Regarding what you mentioned about the clouds, I tried something similar but I felt this one was more interesting as this shows the approaching storm more clearly. But I might look into it again.

Agree about the emptiness of the Cabin, I actually forgot to put some furniture in as I focused completely on the vegetation and the lighting. I’ll definitely add some more props over there!

And many thanks about your tip about the white outline. I struggled most of the afternoon yesterday to fix it, but I couldn’t find a proper solution. Right now I rendered an Alpha mask and used it as an mask in Photoshop, but i still had the white line. I will play around a bit more to shift the edge of this mask in PS and also try and do it inside of the compositer in Blender as you mentioned.

And no worries, I always like to recieve some constructional feedback!

1 Like

It looks amazing, it reminds me of those classic art paintings, where the drama is everything, congratulations for this piece, keep it up!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like