Stradivarius "messiah" violin 3D replica

I plan on perfectly modeling the Stradivarius “messiah” violin since I play.
I did attend a violin carving school where I learn’t to carve
violins out of wood but realized after a year it wasn’t for me.
These textures are all “procedural”.
Edit added:
Latest Renders:

Actual photo of the instrument:

4 Likes

Edit: OLD RENDERS:

Rear plate still needs perfling.

The pegs still need tweaking as usual for a violin…:neutral_face:

3 Likes

Beautiful work you are very talented can’t wait to see the final scene!

Good job . In my opinion the “goldish” matcap doesn’t t help for mesh viewing.

@skuax
Here is a solid wireframe view:

I did some experimenting on the mesh topology of the plates and I figured
the easiest way to get the curves without causing too much close vertex proximity
was with triangle faces. I started with 2 ico-spheres, cut them in half and flattened them out.
Then I joined them and did the sculpting vertex by vertex. So far I’ve probably spent around
21 hours total on this project mainly due to lots of experimentation to get it and do it the right way.

@polunut
Thanks. I plan on putting in in the hands of one of my 3d characters and animating them playing it to classical music.

1 Like

its awesome nice work

I fixed a lot here. I am using a different transparent HDR that has more light.
This is the front plate “procedural” texture. No image file textures used except for pegs and string hand.

I just realized the side ribs look a little too dark compared to the real reference picture.
Easy fix though.

Wow nice work!!!

I personally find the colors from 3 days ago to be more appealing (to me at least). Definitely in the last render the artwork looks more digital then organic.

Also to make renders more appealing try not to use pure black -> go for a radial brown like in the beer commercials ( green bottle, green radial background -brown bottle, golden brown background)

Ps: Why did you stop from making musical instruments? For me it is as pure of a work like sustainable agriculture. You should give it another try. Different teacher that builds some positive mood in the courses?

1 Like

@Color.pixel
The renders from 3 days ago had a different HDR and the wood had much more glossy to it which isn’t what my reference photo looks like. Compare the real reference photo to my latest renders and they are more realistic.

1 Like

The brighter HDR that I liked better:

The scroll gives it away. It looks a little plastic there.^
Fixing…stand by…

Yep some context and “natural light” it does change it :slight_smile:

I see you strike for true to life realism.

Personally, and very subjectively, this part is not so organic:

Here in your picture, the wood is more pale and less contrast or the transition from one color to the next and back is less “in your eyes/face” as it is in the reproduction.

It often helps to step into another project and come back at it some months later.

*Side note: I shoot photos in one day, sort them after a few months, edit them in a few weeks, recheck in a few days and post them in a few weeks. *
This way i see my work as it is not mine… like when you read stuff written back in elementary…

@Color.pixel
Yep! I agree. The maple wood is off. I think I’ve nailed the front plate spruce wood though.

1 Like

Yep that one yes!!!
The upper part+ sides need a rework, some pale transitions, more shine and some good old wood bump to go along the glossy.

I would put some time also on the Tailpiece and Finetuner. Close the gap between real and made by you.

Also if you play with other friends, print your work as an selling advertising and show them asking them if you should even consider buying it one day (if you get rich) or if it is a fake. If they don’t spot the fact that is CGI then you made it as good as a connoisseur could be fooled. Also, in the end, keep the secret to you, so you can ask them next time also

@Color.pixel
Fixed the maple:

1 Like

Wood is fun.
Reminded me of this meme::neutral_face:
download

1 Like