Strange Behaviour when selecting multiple vertices

Hello there!

Allthough using Blender for quite a while now (should be around 10 years) i never had an issue when selecting vertices. But playing around with Blender at home the last days i encountered a behaviour that i never noticed before. As i use Blender 2.64 on my production computer (where i never came upon this issue) and 2.68 at home i assume, it has been introduced in one of the last versions.

What happens is this: I enter edit mode of an object. All right. I select a vertice by clicking on it. All right. I select another vertice by clicking on it. The previously selected vertice gets deselected and the newly clicked vertice is now selected, as expected. I hold shift and click on another vertice - now two vertices are selected. Everything fine.

But now something happens, that is completely new to me. When i click another vertice now, without holding shift, i would expect the two selected vertices to be deselected and the clicked vertice to be selected. But instead i now have 3 vertices selected. And more than that: this behaviour from now on is the default: When deselecting all vertices by pressing a and starting to select again, i do not have to press shift to add vertices to the selection, the get added automatically.

This may be usefull in some situations, but not in mine. I have no idea if this is the intended behaviour or a bug, or if i can revert that behaviour to what i was previously used to (clicking a vertice without holding shift deselects all selected vertices and selects only the new one).

As said, i’m on Blender 2.68, Mac OSX. Hope someone can help on this.

But now something happens, that is completely new to me. When i click another vertice now, without holding shift, i would expect the two selected vertices to be deselected and the clicked vertice to be selected. But instead i now have 3 vertices selected. And more than that: this behaviour from now on is the default: When deselecting all vertices by pressing a and starting to select again, i do not have to press shift to add vertices to the selection, the get added automatically.

As said, i’m on Blender 2.68, Mac OSX.
I do not see this behaviour with 2.68 on OSX. Shift select extends the selection, then without shift deselects all except the vertex just selected
Have you any custom shortcuts or key layouts.
Have you tried File / Load Factory Settings ?

Have you any custom shortcuts or key layouts.
Have you tried File / Load Factory Settings ?

Ok, this reverted the behaviour back to normal. So it is my own fault :frowning:

Now question is: where to start looking for the reason. Any ideas?

Actually, I had a problem where the mouse was selecting the completely wrong verts, and it turns out it was fixed by disabling anti-aliasing! The explanation there would be that the AA on the screen makes the selection area bigger and there must have been a bug that messed up the edit mode vert selection sizes. Think its a bit like this?