strange black artifacts on bevelled curve

wow its been a while since ive posted anything in the support section! :wink:

im making a simple model of a mountain road, using a path with a beizer curve defining the bevel shape. in the 3d view it looks fine, but when i render it…

its a curve so i cant do anything with normals or remove doubles, and i raised it off the hill to see if it was z fighting but that wasnt it either. is there something ive missed? the blend file is on paste all : Here. Thanks!

Edit: or some reason if you write Paste all as one word: “********” it turns into stars. anyone know what thats about?

Edit 2: it changes the actual link also! what is goin on? ill try to make a tinyurl…

Edit 3: Alright hope this works: http://tinyurl.com/HillPaste-All

The render is fine with the original 2.53beta but I get the black area problem with r31513. Looks fine if you convert the curve to a mesh. I’d say it was a problem with blender itself rather than your model.

ok thats kind of reassuring…i just hope it will fixed in future revisions. do you think its worth making a bug report? i cant exactly pinpoint any one thing…

Make sure you turn VnormalFlip OFF. IIRC its in the render panel

thanks for the reply, but i cant seem to find it…

Well I can’t find it either! They were talking about removing vertex normal flipping a while back, perhaps its been removed. Does anyone know if Vnormal Flip is still toggle able? This is one of those instances where it may help or hinder, hmm I’ll keep looking - so far not in world, scene or camera settings.

oh well, it is still in beta after all, i think we are quick to forget that, however advanced it may be. Please let me know if you see any revelations on the subject.