strange 'ribbing' of model

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been going through the excellent tutorials on youtube, and I’m attempting to create a character. You’ll notice that the mesh appears ribbed even though everything is set to ‘smooth’. Increasing the subdivision makes it worse.
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I’m struggling to find a fix.

Its caused by the edge loops that are really close together. Dissolving them should fix it.

Increasingly narrowed quads and all coming together to a triangle fan like in top and bottom of an UV sphere won’t be good for subdivision either. Could patch the caps differently than having a triangle fan there but none of those beat the uniformity of faces in a polysphere.

Polysphere should be a primitive.

Making a polysphere in blender is a very quick and easy thing to do.

Add a cube, add subdivision (3 or 4 levels will do it) , add cast modifier -> sphere -> factor 1.00 :slight_smile:

I replace my default cube with that :slight_smile:

Wasn’t there a polysphere in older versions of blender? i remember it from the add_mesh menu, unless it was on an add-on that isn’t available for newer versions?

Add mesh: extra objects addon has it. shift+A -> mesh -> round cube. Previously it was with polysphere name in the addon.

I often make one from a cube. Cube, edit mode, W -> subdivide smooth. In previous versions also had to do to sphere (alt+shift+S, 1, enter) but not in recent ones because subdivide smooth already does good enough job with that.

I use extra objects, and sometimes make it myself, I just feel like the topology is usually so much better than a uv sphere that it should be included as a mesh primitive in trunk.

Ah!

It was because all of my points (at the top of the creature came into one vertex. As JA12 pointed out:

Increasingly narrowed quads and all coming together to a triangle fan like in top and bottom of an UV sphere won’t be good for subdivision either. Could patch the caps differently than having a triangle fan there but none of those beat the uniformity of faces in a polysphere.

So I removed this point and began the process of filling out my model. After that and some smoothing I was
done!

STEP ONE - CREATING A POLYSPHERE

STEP TWO - SMOOTHING
Notice how there’s still some ‘ribbing’ on the bottom. This is because it wasn’t smoothed yet.

DONE!