Strange scalling in array

Hya there. I may be completely blind, but I don’t understand how to do this. See the attached .blend. Now, in the outliner, expand SpringA, and select Spring. Now go into edit mode. See that “box” below? Now scale it. How the hell does it scale that way? It seems like it’s scaling with the cursor as pivot, but the mesh’s center doesn’t move. I don’t really understand=\

It’s scaling with the cursor as pivot, but the scaling applies to the mesh before the Hook modifiers have got their claws into it. Note that if you change the spring mesh by hand like this, you will also need to adjust the cap meshes to match, so it’s probably better to use the ‘SpringWire’ Empty provided for the purpose, which scales everything consistently.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Thanks for your reply! I’m trying to reverse engineer it, so I can make it on my own. How to do I scale it before the Hook modifiers do their work? Maybe this is simple, but I can’t figure it out=\ Could you please make a simple outline of the steps? I’d be very much appreciated!

You can see the mesh without the hooks by just temporarily disabling the hook modifiers - but be warned that there are doubled vertices that the hooks pull apart.

Maybe this is simple, but I can’t figure it out=\ Could you please make a simple outline of the steps?

I should probably do some sort of ‘Making Of’ tutorial, especially for the hooks. I doubt it will happen this year though …

Best wishes,
Matthew