Strange shading in render view? Potentially bad geometry.

Hi everyone. I am new to blender and I am having a couple of issues with a seemingly simple model I made.

I’ll preface this by saying that I have checked for faces within faces, and I have selected all vertices/lines/faces and removed doubles, and then re-calculated the normals with ctrl+n, but this has not made a difference.

I’ve linked a gallery of all views here - http://imgur.com/a/NMIzH#0

But this is my model:

And this is how it renders:

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Brendan

Blender only renders triangles so your model gets triangulated at render time. Because you have those ngons (faces > 4 sides) you are relying on some algorithm blender uses to create those triangles which may give a crap result. If you use quads you have more control on how they get triangulate. If you have non planar faces you will see those triangles in the render.

You have failed to supply a blend file so cannot give specific answer for your specific case
You can set the shading to smooth and enable the Autosmooth option in the object data settings.

Ahhh, I see. Thank you very much for the reply. I went through and used the knife tool to convert the ngons to tris and quads and it solved the issue completely.

Thanks again for you help!