Strategies for a large project?

I’m slowly learning Blender GE with the hopes of porting a fairly large simulator project to it. For those of you who are experienced GE developers, what advice might you have before I start bringing my project over?

One of the things I like best about the GE is that I can do many things with little or no programming. The down-side is that creating complex interactivity with logic blocks can be pretty unwieldy. How do you handle large logic-block arrays/pages?

Are there any recent -large- project files available for me to study? All the complete and fairly large projects I’ve seen were created with 2.25 (like the skateboard-girl).

In the v2.25 .blends it looks like most of the larger projects are divided into separate scenes which are called with logic blocks. Is this the best strategy with 2.41?

Thanks!

I’d say thats the best way to go about it. Some games are even made with seperate levels in different files. See what works for you and your particular game.

Since my application is a simulator, it doesn’t really lend itself to being separated into “levels” like many games might.

The main vehicle in this simulator will be controlled by both keyboard and joystick. I anticipate that just the logic blocks for the vehicle controls alone will fill up an entire screen. Is there a way to link “pages” of logic blocks?

hello bigkahuna, to link different objects’ logic bricks you should use the sensor of that object and use an actuator “message” to send a message to the other object. then you use a sensor "message"at the other object I am not sure if this is what you wanted to know. Thats the only way I know.

-Daniel

Thanks, using “message” actuators and “global” variables would allow me to pass information. Yes, I’m learning both of these.

But what I’m wondering is if there is a way to move entire sections or groups of logic blocks to another scene or some other way to better organize an application’s logic.

Also, as a program gets larger, it becomes even more difficult to edit it. I was wondering what the GE gurus do to make things easier.

Thanks!

Lol, I don’t consider myself a guru, there’s others way smarter in python and the GE, but…

:wink: For bigger large scale games you cannot get away without scripting in python. Logic bricks are great… but trust me with code, it’ll be easier to debug and a lot easier to fix instead of a large web of logic bricks.

1. Plan out your whole project completely (trust me it’ll save you a lot of time fixing and then refixing things again)
    ie: sketches, characters, vehicles, functionality, etc
  2. Along with planning, also plan out the basic blocks of how the logic/code will flow (requires decent knowledge of the GE and python)
  3. Make sure you have all the models already (lol, then you could just go on a coding spree)… but then usually everyone likes to do both at the same time, that’s ok too.
  4. :smiley: Have fun while you’re doing it, and try to keep it alive. The worst thing for a project is if you lose the drive to try to complete it. Yup, many of use that’s used the engine for awhile can vouch for many uncompleted projects still lying around on their harddrive.

And if you must have multiple levels. Take a look at how Transcendant was structured. Andy structured it so that each level would use the Game Actuator to load the next level (.blend or .exe file). This really cuts down the complexity of each .blend file since essentially each would be able to run independantly and really splits the game down. Only downside is larger files sizes since objects that are reused must also be in the other .exe or .blend file as well.

Well… that’s about all the advice I’ve got I think, lol. Wish ya luck and remember, never give up.

Jason Lin

Thanks Jason. Although this is not my first large project, it is my first large project with Blender GE. FYI, I started developing it with a custom game engine (employing the help of a C++ programmer) then I decided to do it on my own. I first tried using Quest3D as a development platform, but found it’s workflow and documentation confusing. Then I tried using Right Hemisphere’s Deep Creator, but limitations in it’s physics and joystick support kept me from continuing with it.

About 2 weeks ago as a desperate last effort, I decided to give Blender’s GE a try and was surprised to find just about everything I needed to make my simulator work: decent physics, full joystick support, and tons of samples/tutorials. I’ve been playing with Blender for over a year, never really doing any productive work with it until now. I’m really starting to enjoy using it and am finding it very powerful and fairly easy to work with.

At present, the only limitations I’ve found are it’s graphics quality and speed, which are not quite up to where the DirectX tools are. The new shader support and physics library should help in this area.

Thanks for your feedback and help!