Strawberries

Strawberries

Laser scanned Strawberries. We scanned 4 Strawberry baskets, 62 single Strawberries and 11 sliced Strawberries with an Artec Leo Laser Scanner.
Plus : we made with a Nikon D 850 450 Images.

We put the laser point cloud and the raw images into Reality Capture (CLI Version) and started a reconstruction in high detail. Textures made with Substance Alchemist (Albedo, Roughness, Normal, Height, AO)

Rendered in Blender 3D 2.8 Cycles with 300 samples + denoise.

i-U Studios
Nigal

70 Likes

Yikes that’s pretty solid. I did Reality Capture for a month, it’s pretty insane software. Nice result!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re #featured! :+1:

1 Like

This is spectacular! I have a question. When you took photos of the strawberries, what were your light parameters? Did you maintain a certain lighting technique/degree? Meaning, was the lighting consistent per image. Did you change the exposure or keep on manual to refrain the camera from changing EXPOSURE settings as your scanned/took a picture?

Or, if you did something else, what might that be. I find this to be very fascinating!

2 Likes

Wow. No words.

1 Like

Wow :slight_smile: thank you very much Bart !!! :slight_smile:
Greets
Robin

1 Like

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Bart this is amazing :slight_smile:

Best regards / Robin

1 Like

Saw it as a promo of substance alchemist update! Amazing work!

It looks really really detailed, but I feel like it’s missing some post processing. Like for example I feel like the dark values could be darker, such as shadows and maybe the darks on the reds and greens…

I’ve seen pretty good renderings of strawberries before, but never as good of a sliced one as here. :open_mouth:

Hi :slight_smile:

Thank you

ok i’ll try to make a short manual. For a laser scan it doesnt matter what kind of light we use. BUT for the texture (albedo) it is very important to use a clean, uniform and diffuse light (light like a summer day near the equatorial zone on an complete overcast day). We are using a white tent (15 sqm) . From the outside the tent will be illuminated with different lights. We are using 6 lights with 5300 Kelvin (day light), 4 Lights 3300 Kelvin (warm) and 4 lights 8000 Kelvin (cold). This mix of lights is for us very important for a neutral light source (dependend of the object we scan) In some cases we change the cold light to warm LED light (like red or orange). It is in this way always the same principle like modern LED lights e.g. Aquarium

The exposure is alwasy the same, reason is the bright light from the bright tent. For the Strawberries project we used more warm light and less cold light and two more red light sources scattered around the tent.

Best regards
Thomas

I’d suggest adding some reptile UV non-led lamps. They bring up some colors that aren’t visible with leds.