Stretch Question

Hello Everyone!

I attempted to find the answer to my question though Google and several Blender resources, but can’t find what I’m looking for.

I have been hearing a lot of hype behind Blender and thought I would check it out. So far, I like it a lot. I am still learning and I am getting a bit frustrated with the stretch function.

Lets see if I can explain this well enough to be understood. With my current 3D platform (ac3d) I can resize in this fashion:

Lets say I have cylinder object that I extruded on one side. In a profile view, I select the vertices on one side and activate the resize method. ac3d puts a box around your selection and gives you eight handles to resize. If I grab the top Y handle and move it up, I can resize just the top half of the selected vertices. My result looks like a deformed funnel.

Now, with Blender, I activate the stretch method and it keeps the stretch even on both sides of the axis I resize. This is not the method I am looking for. I want to resize each end of the axis independently.

Now, I know I might not have explained this well, so I included some diagrams.

Stretch1.png: ac3d stretch handles
Stretch2.png: ac3d letting me stretch just one end of the axis.
Stretch3.png: result of attempting the same thing in blender.

How do I accomplish a similar effect as in ac3d?

Thank you for all your help!

• matt

Attachments

Snap the 3D cursor to the vertex you want to stay in place (select the vertex, then shift-S), then scale (S) relative to the cursor (.).

Best wishes,
Matthew

There is a quick way: you just switch to “active object” in the header of the 3d viewport (the single dot mode, and the last vertex selected will be the origin of the stretch.

Thank you very much for the help! It works. I’m not sure if I like this cursor thing and all these keyboard commands. But, I will not give up on Blender yet. Thank you again!