Stuff from LW modeller you'd like to see in Blender?

agree on widgets

but when you say quickly change the grid size. Can you elaborate more on the difference between LightWave and Blender?

My apologies, I am maybe a bit hyper alert for the danger of the thread being derailed when it first starts, sorry about that. I am mad keen to get insight from ex-wavers as I am sure there are a few tools which would seriously help Blender.

Sometimes, the ability is there in Blender, itā€™s more a workflow thing and if that could be refined. Please contribute as much as you wish Richard and again, sorry for any mis-interpretation mate. :slight_smile:

Enhanced as I really do think this would be extremely useful.

LWCAD has a ton of useful features, but I deeply admire Viktors work so as much as I would love a complete port of it to Blender, I am trying to look at where some of the features would be a big benefit.

The main thing with LWCAD for me is the way it handles snapping and scaling / spacing when you use the tools, especially the projection snap.
Whilst using Blenders snap is great, the workflow of the LWCAD snapping is quite impressive. Then again, the whole kit is, (can you tell iā€™m a fan?). :wink:

Ah I should have used an or instead of a plus :slight_smile:
The difference between blender and lw is, that lw maintains its number of snapping divisions
on a much finer level then blenderā€¦

But actually thinking about it again, this might be easily fixed by an small addon
wich would adjust the number of subdivisions of the grid by a shortcutā€¦
(< for lowering the grid divisions by 10 > for adding 10 divisions)ā€¦

mhmmmā€¦might be the time to officially release my first blender addon.

Ok, these are two simple scripts wich decreases or increases the grid by 5 subdivisions.
(minimum 5 maximum 1020), activate those in the addons tab,
the commands for assigning keyboard shortcuts inside the 3d view(global) section are:
object.increasegrid
object.decreasegrid

if someone with better python experience wants to build uppon, I would be glad

not sure if it will be as helpfull on the daily usage as I think it could beā€¦grid.zip (1.01 KB)

No worries, completely understand. :slight_smile:

The way it works in Blender is that there is a relationship between the scale setting and the subdivision setting. Additionally, it behaves differently in perspective than it does in ortho. So far you seem to be referring to zooming. So I guess that you are talking about the behavior in ortho. This is tied into basically what I could describe as a ā€œprogressive subdivisionā€ based on the subdivision setting under scale. So as you zoom in it progressively scales by the subdivision setting. Perspective ignores that setting entirely.

Two snapping videos in my series:

I donā€™t remember if I covered this or not in those vidoes.

But the solution is to use the scale setting not the subdivision setting. The scale setting is a percentage of the default unit setting. So a scale of 1.0 would be 1 Meter. Set the Lines setting to a higher number so you get a larger grid. Then set Subdivision to 1. And use the scale setting of .1 for 1cm or .01 for 1mm and so on to set your precise snapping increment that will work universally in perspective or ortho and also be zoom independent in ortho.

You can also set your default measurements to English if you prefer.

4 Vids on Units and Scale:

By the way, just to be sure. I donā€™t want to hold the attitude that ā€œwell you can already do that in Blenderā€. Because sometimes that can be destructive to these kinds of discussions. But as colkai mentioned I think it is often a balance between the two extremes. Sometimes it is a workflow issue.

Thanks for your insights, had not that much time to watch all vids, as for today, will do it in the next few days.

As for grid scaling, the problem was that I always find myself at a zoom level, where the snapping grid was most of the times to coarse, or to fine. A problem you have less in modeler. I donā€™t want to scale it manually, so I mapped the two scripts on shortcuts, so Iā€™m able to scale it accordingly without loosing speed. Not sure with the current step size of five subdivisions, but I think I will adjust that with better vales in future.
You are right this does not work in perspective view, but for that stuff where I do need those kind of snapping, Iā€™m more in orthogonal viewsā€¦but lets see, maybe Iā€™ll rewrite the script to use scaling.

Thanks for the info, and as said will go through these during the next few days,

cheers.

Cool. Yeah I have a project, where need has arisen to have exact fine snapping in perspective. So I use the scaling as I mentioned in the above post.

If you do as I say, you can always have exact snapping exactly like in Modeler and it will be the same in perspective and ortho. If I am understanding what you want, I donā€™t think you need a script for that. It already works just like Modeler.

I donā€™t know whether tacking this onto an old thread makes more sense than starting a new one, but here goes.

Iā€™m missing LW Modelerā€™s Drill functions in Blender. I think of the Drill functions in a sense as 2D versions of Boolean operations. Template Drill is a world axes projection based slicing method, and Blender does have a couple of methods similar to that such as Knife Project.

But the one I would love to find an equivalent for in Blender is Solid Drill. It really is very similar to Booleans in how you set up to use it, but the ā€œoperatorā€ mesh only slices the surfaces it intersects with. It is never ā€œadditiveā€.

One workflow thought I had is in relation to using Booleans, where the Solid Drill would use a slightly inflated version of the boolean operator shape, and create a clean offset edge inside which the actual boolean would be applied.

But in general, it would provide a way to slice geometry in ways not always possible using a planar, orthographic cut, and which doesnā€™t create ā€œinnerā€ geometry like some ā€œSliceā€ Boolean operations that combine Subtract+Intersect+Add back result (e.g. BoxCutter I think) do.

Anyway, I had thought to create a formal suggestion that something like Solid Drill could be implemented as a Modifier, but thought I would ask if thereā€™s already something in Blender similar to Solid Drill I havenā€™t discovered.

1 Like

The closest to drill is knife project, but yeah, I miss those as well. Thereā€™s an older addon called boolean 2D which did basically a kife project and tidyup, but doesnā€™t work in 2.8x
Overall though, I still would like the template and solid drill features.

1 Like

Agreed. I am not aware of any alternatives.

Yeah, a handy feature would be a ā€œknifeā€ boolean, doesnā€™t add or take away, just slices the target object based on the cutter. That way at least, you could solidify the cutter and use it to cut your target. That said, BoxCutter has a knife feature, but I donā€™t think you can activate it with custom geometry, just the built in options.